Hydrometer readings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McLovinBeast57

Reaction score
I know you need to take a hydrometer reading before you pitch for OG and before bottling for FG, but what about during fermentation?

It's been 4 days since brew day and my wort has already gone through a vigorous fermentation and has slowed down to the point where there are no more bubbles in the airlock. The beer has cleared up now too.

So as a general rule of thumb, the process should be: OG reading, pitch yeast, wait till there are no more bubbles in the airlock then take another reading for about 3 consecutive days, wait 2-4 weeks to condition beer, FG reading, bottle.
Correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It is fine to take frequent gravity readings as long as you can minimize the exposure of the beer to air and contamination. Taking frequent gravity samples (and tasting them) will teach you a lot about the progression of a fermentation for specific beer and yeast types.

It is also important to monitor and record temperature as the temperature affects the speed of the fermentation. I recently had a fermentation with Safale S-04 yeast slow to a standstill because the temperature fell to 58f from 64f during vigorous fermentation. I then knew to gradually increase the temp to 67f over 5 days (using a heat pad) to help the yeast complete the fermentation. I might not have correlated the temp drop with slowed activity had I not been recording the fermentation temperatures and I might have assumed the yeast had stalled.

It is fine to take frequent gravity readings as long as you can minimize the exposure of the beer to air and contamination. Taking frequent gravity samples (and tasting them) will teach you a lot about the progression of a fermentation for specific beer and yeast types.

It is also important to monitor and record temperature as the temperature affects the speed of the fermentation. I recently had a fermentation with Safale S-04 yeast slow to a standstill because the temperature fell to 58f from 64f during vigorous fermentation. I then knew to gradually increase the temp to 67f over 5 days (using a heat pad) to help the yeast complete the fermentation. I might not have correlated the temp drop with slowed activity had I not been recording the fermentation temperatures and I might have assumed the yeast had stalled.

Yep, I had a temp. variation of 20 degrees! Definitely messed that up but I'm hoping it will tone down any off flavors as it conditions. Good lesson to learn early on though!

I know you need to take a hydrometer reading before you pitch for OG and before bottling for FG, but what about during fermentation?

It's been 4 days since brew day and my wort has already gone through a vigorous fermentation and has slowed down to the point where there are no more bubbles in the airlock. The beer has cleared up now too.

So as a general rule of thumb, the process should be: OG reading, pitch yeast, wait till there are no more bubbles in the airlock then take another reading for about 3 consecutive days, wait 2-4 weeks to condition beer, FG reading, bottle.
Correct?

Take OG reading after aeration.
Pitch yeast.
Wait two weeks.
Take a SG reading, wait three days take another SG reading. If you are unsure take another reading two days later. If the readings are the same FG had been reached.
Wait a week for the yeast to finish cleaning up.
You are ready to bottle unless it doesn't fit your schedule.
Bottle when you are ready.
Condition your beer at 70° tp 75° for at least two weeks. Chill one for a few days and taste. As gravity goes up conditioing time goes up.

Happy Brewing.

Should have put in there to control fermentation temperature. Just saw your reply.

Take OG reading after aeration.

Pitch yeast.

Wait two weeks.

Take a SG reading, wait three days take another SG reading. If you are unsure take another reading two days later. If the readings are the same FG had been reached.

Wait a week for the yeast to finish cleaning up.

You are ready to bottle unless it doesn't fit your schedule.

Bottle when you are ready.

Condition your beer at 70° tp 75° for at least two weeks. Chill one for a few days and taste. As gravity goes up conditioing time goes up.

Happy Brewing.

Should have put in there to control fermentation temperature. Just saw your reply.

Perfect answer, thanks!

I don't normally take readings quite that often. If I know I'm going to be waiting at least 2-4 weeks for a beer in the fermenter and i'm certain it hasn't experienced any significant temperature drops then I'll take an OG, and then a FG gravity before bottling. However, the closer it is to only being in the fermenter for 2 weeks I'll take two readings a few days apart for FG just to make sure it's done.

The above poster has a good point about learning more about the particular yeast's activity at various temps, etc., by taking more frequent readings. But given that I lose a good 200 ml of beer for each reading, I take them less frequently.

For the FG sample, is it acceptable to use the same sample 3 days in row? If so, what is the best way/temp to store the sample?

Yes, definitely taste the samples!

I sample from a better bottle with a spigot, so I can take <20ml each time without popping off the airlock. I wouldn't sample as frequently if I had to drop a wine thief into the fermenter, although my wine theif takes only ~150ml each time.

Try pitching around 56-60f next time (if you have a big enough pitch/starter) and letting the fermentation temp rise on it's own. I ferment in a room that is 60F and I rarely break 68f at the peak of fermentation without adding heat... except when using SF-05 which is a crazy fast yeast in my experience.

My opinion is just to let it ride for at least 10 days before checking...two weeks is better.

As far as drinking the samples...you're more than welcome to come to my house and drink mine. I have tried it and I can't stand it. I sanitize like hell and pour it back in IF I don't just check the gravity in the fermenter itself.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back