Hydrometer readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenLuva

Reaction score
This might sound like a stupid question but I’m a new brewer where can I find out what the gravity reading should be before transferring a Dunkel to the secondary.

I'm a noob too, but I think what you're looking for is actually a steady reading that does not change over a number of days (i.e., telling you that the yeasties are done), not a certain specific gravity reading. Yes, there are "target ranges" for final gravity readings for all sorts of different styles, but for purposes of knowing when fermentation is done, better to know that the yeast has finished its work... According to the 2008 BJCP style guidelines, a Munich Dunkel should have a FG of about 1.010 – 1.016.

+1 on the hydrometer readings being the same over 3 days (dont bother for at least a week and then again two days later to see if they are the same)

Also, you can use Beersmith or MashPro to see what your estimated final gravity should be so you know if you ended close. if it is supposed to be 1.15 and you end at 2.5 then you know there is an issue and not that it is done.

I was ignorant recently and decided not to do gravity measurements for a few beers and I regret every bit of it and if I did not with my last one i would have been screwed as it is supposed to end around 1.15 or somthing and it stopped fermenting at 1.30 :(

I have never brewed a Dunkel, but many times people dont use secondaries so you could just leave it in the primart for the three weeks and call it a day. Less waste, yeast clean up after themselves, and you have less risk for infection (which with sanitary measures is low anyway)

Munsoned's got it right. You're looking for steady gravity readings over multiple days. If you know your starting gravity then you can do some math to figure out what your expected finished gravity should be. This thread discusses this very process. If you're using a kit, it probably came with instructions that include OG and FG estimates. Just remember that your finished gravity wont always line up perfectly.

EDIT: To be clear you shouldn't transfer until fermentation is complete.

Back