Hydrometer readings for SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T8rAleKing

Reaction score
Noob here, I have been searching for how to get a good reading on my hydrometer and I am obviously still searching for the answers...so here I am with the experts. Please help.

I just finished a Kiltlifter clone and on my hydrometer, I read a 1.114. Now I don't think that is even close to being correct so if anyone can assist me, I can give you specifics on how I read that number off my new hydrometer. TIA

Salud

Sounds a bit high. Check this out.

hydrometerreading.jpg

Search YouTube for hydrometer videos by craigtube. He had hands down the easiest to understand explanation of not only how to use it, but also how it works and why.

Like my horse-handicappin' buddy says, can't you read a racing form...I guess I need to learn how to read a hydrometer. In looking at my H. and your diagram, I see my mistake...it is reading at the 1.060 level, does that sound in a little bit better range for my clone?

Thanks Ed. Much help.

Salud

Like my horse-handicappin' buddy says, can't you read a racing form...I guess I need to learn how to read a hydrometer. In looking at my H. and your diagram, I see my mistake...it is reading at the 1.060 level, does that sound in a little bit better range for my clone?

Thanks Ed. Much help.

Salud

Yep, for the O.G (Original Gravity) or starting gravity, it looks good.

Yep, for the O.G (Original Gravity) or starting gravity, it looks good.

EdWort: In 2-3 weeks I will be checking my FG reading on the Hydro., what should I expect it to be so I can move to the bottling/conditioning stage? I am guessing around 1.020? TIA

Salud

Back