Hydrometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bristolcity

Reaction score
Hi my hydrometer is showing the sg of my red wind must is at 1078. It's been 28 hours since I added the yeast can anyone send some advice my way I'm a newbie
Thank you

I see you posting several times on the same question. Check your previous threads and you'll see the answers you are looking for.

It's going to take much longer than 28 hours for the wine to get down to the final gravity. You don't need to check it over and over, that's just asking for problems. That primary fermentation is going to take 3-10 days, assuming you are at the proper temp.

It's my first time hence why I'm anxious to make sure I'm not messing things up all well and good if it works this time the next batch I do I will have more of an understanding only reason I took a hydro reading today was it says on the instructions to do one daily I take it my current reading of 1078 is not a bad thing if after 48 hours it has not got didnt would you reccomend adding another yeast packet. The current temperature is 68 sorry if I'm being a pain I'm only seeking reasurance :)
Thank you

Dont think you're being a pain, ask all the questions you need to. Thats what these awesome forums are for. But leave youre wine alone. Dont check it everyday and if youre using a bucket, buy a carboy instead so like myself being new, you can watch all the cool things that happen during fermentation without opening your container

Cheers josh il leave it for 24 hours then take another reading I take it I'm looking for the Reading to be lower showing that the yeast is reducing the sugar there for showing fermentation has started

I'm not a wine person here, I just brew beer, so if I say something stupid, forgive me.

I know a lot of wine brewers do certain additions when the wine reaches a certain SG, like energizer or nutrient, or another aeration or what-have-you. This is the only reason I could see constantly checking the SG.

If you're not planning on doing some sort of addition at a certain SG, relax, leave it alone, and don't even touch it for a couple weeks. I personally wouldn't check the SG until two weeks after pitching. The more you check it, the more you increase the risk of infection.

As far as the gravity not dropping for 28 hours, that's normal. You're going to have a lag period in which the yeast are growing and multiplying and building up a sufficient number of cells. The length of the lag period depends on a lot of things, but mostly the number of healthy cells you pitched, the size of the batch, the OG, and how much you aerated it. With a decently high gravity, and if you aerated it a lot, you will have a longer lag period (this is a good thing though!). It can take anywhere from 4 hours or so to 3 days for active fermentation to start, so relax!

Thank you both I will leave the must well alone for a few days if I don't see any activity after say 6 days would you recommend adding another batch of yeast or will the grape juice be too sour to reuse :)
I really do apreiciate the advice

Also I've not fitted an airlock after reading a few forums on here the general feel was not to fit an airlock during primary

Eh, just be patient with it. Lots of things can go wrong if you rush it, but there is almost all beneficial effects if you leave it in primary fermentation a little too long.

Breathe, stop checking the gravity everyday, and give it at least another week before you check again!

Ive always had an airlock during primary. Ive done 4 batches of beer and I'm on my 3rd batch of wine. Currently brewing my 1st batch of non kit wine. Im still new too but these forums have helped big time. Anyway back to point, Ive always used air locks. I use the 3 piece airlocks and after my first batch of beer I switched to carboys as I previously posted to avoid opening my containers. I got buckets in my beer kit. This allows me to monitor the progress of my fermentation.

1) don't worry about adding more yeast unless it just plain doesn't take off. I'd say if it goes longer than 3 days with no apparent activity, check the SG and if it hasn't dropped, THEN I'd worry that something went wrong and dehydrate a pack of yeast and add it.
I assume you're using a kit and not regular ol' store bought juice? if using store bought juice, you'd possibly have to worry about preservatives inhibiting the yeast, but if this is a wine kit, or concentrate specifically for wine, it should be fine. give it a couple days and see if anything happens.

2) i personally would use an airlock unless you think you'll have to worry about blow-off ( high gravity, not enough head space in fermenter). it isn't AS important in primary, but it's best practice. do you at least have a towel or loose lid covering the opening to prevent stuff falling in?

I am using a store brought wine kit yes a red wine Shiraz kit I am using a bucket for primary I will invest in s Carboy but there was none left at the store when I brought my kit typical and I have a lid on my bucket and a cloth covering the hole where the airlock would normaly go if you guys feel an airlock is best on a primary then il go put it on
Seriously I thank you all for your help this hobby is new to me but I can relax now as I guess some times fermentation takes longer

You don't need the lid or the airlock. The yeast need some oxygen the first few days. just throw a towel over it and secure it with a rubber band chain and a paper clip. A carboy would be nice to have as a secondary. What are you gonna rack it to when the gravity hits 1020 or so?

You don't need the lid or the airlock. The yeast need some oxygen the first few days. just throw a towel over it and secure it with a rubber band chain and a paper clip. A carboy would be nice to have as a secondary. What are you gonna rack it to when the gravity hits 1020 or so?

Wine makers often work with fruit and not simply the juice from the fruit (think of red wines and fermenting on the skins) so they need to be able to stir the must several times a day to ensure that any solids are kept wet and that all solids are exposed to the yeasts. Fermenting wine in an open bucket (covered with a cloth) works well. The environment the wine yeast creates for itself disfavors infections by other volunteer microbes and yeasts and the yeast's production of CO2 is enough to inhibit oxidation.
I tend to rack to a secondary when the gravity gets closer to 1.005 not least because racking too soon means that you may fail to rack enough yeast with the wine and so create a stuck fermentation or enough stresses for the yeast to produce hydrogen sulfide and mercaptans which you then need to work to remove.
Fermentation is a natural process. You really create the opportunity for the yeast to do its thing and then stand back and let it while very gently and quietly nudging the yeast to produce the very specific results you are looking for - the flavors, the aromas, the colors, the clarity, the mouthfeel, the tartness, the sweetness, the acidity - that is the art and science to wine making

I will be racking into another tub it was the only half decent starter kit they had in the store I will upgrade and get a Carboy if this batch ends up fermenting I've realised there's so many different ways people make wine wich is really interesting some say no air lock on primary as yeast needs oxeygan others say fit an airlock I guess either way is preferable to the individual I think for this batch I will leave an airlock on just so I can see the gas bubbles being released so I know it's started fermenting as soon as I see that il remove the airlock :)

Its way to early to get worried. I keep pretty specific notes on all my wine I make. I stir it once every morning and take the SG each day after I stir it. I note the SG each day in my notes. Once it gets fermenting it could drop fairly quickly. I just set the lid on my primary fermentation bucket. I don't snap it down. I usually will drape a towel over the bucket lid just to keep any fruit fly's from trying to crawl into the bucket under the lid. The first sign of fermentation will be when you stir it, it will seem to foam a little. That's the release of CO2. If you have fine bubbles or foam its working. SG 1 time a day at most. Keep good notes because if you really love a batch you want to be able to reproduce it.
I have had some fruit wines ferment so slowly that I couldn't tell they were fermenting.
I just recently moved a batch of skeeter pee into a carboy after 2 days because it was fermenting so slowly I couldn't tell without an airlock. I wouldn't recommend that with grape though. My grape always foams a lot and you would have a real mess with it foaming over a carboy if you move it too soon. I usually move to secondary between SG 1.020 and 1.015. I would think by Wed. morning you should see fermentation if not tomorrow.

Hi guys good news woke up this morning checked my primary and I have bubbles piping up through the air lock awesome thanks again for the advice man I'm happy

If you provide the yeast with the right conditions they will return the favor and ferment your wines and meads and ciders. The last thing you need to do is worry. You need to take care of the yeast but you don't need to feel anxious. Yeast is quite robust and resilient

Back