Hydrometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandlerBang

Reaction score
uhhhhhh,

So how much liquid does everyone draw off to get a hydrometer reading? Doesn't that waste a lot if you check it everyday to find the 3 day floor?

Can someone walk me through this like a kid?

You really don't need to check everyday if you are lookig for your 3 day window, you only need 2 readings, 3 days apart and you don't even need to begin doing that til 10 days after your yeast pitch.

And if you are opting for a long primary like the month long one many of us do, skipping secondary altogether, you really don't need to take any, though I generally take 2, one on yeast pitching day, and one on bottling day.

That's my average hydrometer usage for normal beers. If I secondaried, I would wait tile day 12 and take a reading then again on day 14, but often I will just take one on day 14 and if it is my target gravity range that my recipe states, then I am fine with one reading and rack it.

And as to how....and how much. You take as much as you need to fill your sample vessel which is just a few ounces, which you drink after.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only take three Hydro readings thru my entire process for one batch of beer.
1. Pre Boil Gravity (to calculate my efficiency. only been doing this since I started using Beer Alchemy)
2. O.G./S.G. (Once wort is cooled. Prior to pitching my yeast)
3. F.G./T.G. (Prior to kegging so I can determine A.B.V.)

F.G. is taken usually after 2 weeks. I usually do a 1 week primary and a 1 week secondary

Back