hydrometer reading and sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nestler

Reaction score
What is the safest way (in terms of sanitation) to take a hydrometer reading before primary fermentation? Do you leave some wort in the pot and measure it? Do you dunk the hydrometer tube in the bucket?

The former seems like it wouldn't be accurate (you haven't added the rest of the water or the yeast starter) but the latter seems like it could contaminate things.

Thanks.

I use a wine thief to take a sample from the fermenter just prior to pitching the yeast. I know lots of people use turkey basters. Just make sure whatever you use to take the sample is sanitized and you will not contaminate things.

I use sterile 50 ml pipettes I "borrow" from lab to pull out some wort to check the OG. All in the name of science...

Hmm...I've always just opened the spigot and filled up my hydrometer reading tube that way. Not sure if that's bad- just seemed to be the easiest way and I've never had an infection before. Maybe a turkey baster would be a better idea. Or do you just use those because there is no spigot on glass carboys?

Bottom line though- keep it sanitized. Your wort is very vulnerable to infection at this time. Don't take it from the leftover pot. You haven't added the water yet. Also, take it before you add the yeast starter.

(assuming you are using a bucket fermenter) If you're only fermenting the one beer at a time there's no reason why you can't just put your sanitised hydrometer into the wort and leave it there once the foam has subsided. When you want to take a reading just give it a quick spin to shake off any bubbles and read as normal. That way you aren't introducing any foreigh objects into the beer when you want to take a reading.

just sanitize the hydro and drop it in the bucket.
if you use carboys, invest in a wine thief...it works better than most turkey basters, which are still acceptable for stealing samples, but the thief is designed with a 1 way valve so its less messy.

malkore said:
if you use carboys, invest in a wine thief...it works better than most turkey basters, which are still acceptable for stealing samples, but the thief is designed with a 1 way valve so its less messy.
Not to mention, you can just put your hydrometer inside the thief, so you can just dunk it, take the reading, and then press the tip to the inside of the neck to return the sample.

I too drop my sanitized hydrometer in the chilled wort before pitching. Then during fermentation I use the spigot on my bucket to collect samples.

Back