Hydrometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
Ok, so I know that my hydrometer is calibrated to 60*.

When I took my reading this weekend, the temp of the brew was 68* so I wanted to make the corrections necessary.

With the hydrometer, the instructions say to calibrate accordingly since the hydrometer is calibrated at 60*. But on the other side of the instructions, for a temp of 68*, it says to make NO adjustments....??

Kinda confused on this as to whether or not I should make adjustments or not.

A few possibilities:
-the correction for the eight-degree difference is smaller than your smallest significant digit.
-You've got a hydrometer calibrated to 68˚ (it's another really common standard)
-There's an inconsistency in the packaging (eg they gave you a conversion chart for their 68˚ model.)

Kai said:
A few possibilities:
-the correction for the eight-degree difference is smaller than your smallest significant digit.
-You've got a hydrometer calibrated to 68˚ (it's another really common standard)
-There's an inconsistency in the packaging (eg they gave you a conversion chart for their 68˚ model.)

Not sure if it's the packaging.

The front side of the instructions say it was calibrated to 60*, but the backside shows conversions and at 68*, it shows no adjustments necessary.

:drunk:

My correction for 68F is 0.001 points - almost nothing given the error in reading the darn things....

Thanks.

Think I should make these corrections at 68* regardless of the confusing instruction??

It's not to big a deal since i'm sitting at 1.010 which is right at the lower level of where I should.

If it has it directly on the hydrometer that's the calibration you should use. If it is really calibrated at 60F then your reading of 1.010 would be +0.8 points which is not very significant.

Back