Quantcast

Hydrometer question

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

riored4v

Reaction score
Ok, so I know that my hydrometer is calibrated to 60*.

When I took my reading this weekend, the temp of the brew was 68* so I wanted to make the corrections necessary.

With the hydrometer, the instructions say to calibrate accordingly since the hydrometer is calibrated at 60*. But on the other side of the instructions, for a temp of 68*, it says to make NO adjustments....??

Kinda confused on this as to whether or not I should make adjustments or not.

Kai

Reaction score
A few possibilities:
-the correction for the eight-degree difference is smaller than your smallest significant digit.
-You've got a hydrometer calibrated to 68˚ (it's another really common standard)
-There's an inconsistency in the packaging (eg they gave you a conversion chart for their 68˚ model.)

OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
Kai said:
A few possibilities:
-the correction for the eight-degree difference is smaller than your smallest significant digit.
-You've got a hydrometer calibrated to 68˚ (it's another really common standard)
-There's an inconsistency in the packaging (eg they gave you a conversion chart for their 68˚ model.)
Not sure if it's the packaging.

The front side of the instructions say it was calibrated to 60*, but the backside shows conversions and at 68*, it shows no adjustments necessary.

:drunk:

My correction for 68F is 0.001 points - almost nothing given the error in reading the darn things....
Thanks.

Think I should make these corrections at 68* regardless of the confusing instruction??

It's not to big a deal since i'm sitting at 1.010 which is right at the lower level of where I should.

paranode

Reaction score
If it has it directly on the hydrometer that's the calibration you should use. If it is really calibrated at 60F then your reading of 1.010 would be +0.8 points which is not very significant.

OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score