hydrometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klenow

Reaction score
my hydrometer has been telling me that i cannot bottle until the gravity is below a certain black line (around 1010). However it has been in primary for 11 days now and is hardly moving. Does it matter if i bottle now or is absolutely necessary to wait until it drops more to save my bottles exploding Thanks

Where is your hydrometer? It isn't inyour carboy is it? If it isn't, and you have been taking samples and measuring, then it shows your fermentation is done. A couple of days at the same reading means no more action from the yeast.

It says on your hydrometer that you can't bottle until it drops below a certain point? Ignore that line from now on. If its staying the same, you're good.

klenow said:
my hydrometer has been telling me that i cannot bottle until the gravity is below a certain black line (around 1010). However it has been in primary for 11 days now and is hardly moving. Does it matter if i bottle now or is absolutely necessary to wait until it drops more to save my bottles exploding Thanks

If you hydrometer is talking to you, you might have bigger problems :D

That's one weird hydrometer. If the gravity is consistent for about 3 days, you're good.

However, bottling after only 11 days (unless it's a Hefe or really small beer) is too soon, in my opinion. I'd give it at least two weeks, and three if you can.

it is a pilsiner that i am brewing. you think i should leave in for a few days anyway? Are you doing any damage if you leave it for longer? apart from extending the waiting period? I will see what hydrometer says this afternoon. Also , what is a carboy? I am in Australia and i dont know if that means we use slightly different methods

A few more days won't hurt anything, at this short of a time period, it will just make it better. Carboy is the big glass jug or plastic bucket your beer is in while it ferments.

Thanks, we just call that the keg. I was in Colorado recently, only in Cortez and Durango though. We stopped at a very nice brewery in Cortez, Mesa Cerveza i think it was.

Step 1: grab hydrometer
Step 2: Throw hydrometer in trash

All those things do is make you worry. Wait 1 week and move from Primary to secondary, wait 2 more weeks and move from secondary to bottles or a keg.

Here is where my local brewing shop differs from instructions from this site. They say to bottle the beer after primary, with the sugar in the bottles. What is this secondary stuff and what does it achieve. Sorry, but i suppose this is the beginner's forum

TK421 said:
Step 1: grab hydrometer
Step 2: Throw hydrometer in trash

All those things do is make you worry. Wait 1 week and move from Primary to secondary, wait 2 more weeks and move from secondary to bottles or a keg.
Man, that advice is sooooooo 2007'ish. :D

Seriously, the hydrometer is your friend. Learn to use it and trust it.

Regarding the 1-2-3 rule -- well that's up for revision now. Lots of posts here on it (check the stickies).

You can bottle from the primary or the secondary. It is personal choice. But you do want to make sure that you spend at least a couple/three weeks in the fermenter -- possibly much longer for bigger beers. Personally, I don't bother with a secondary anymore.

Back