Hydrometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormraper

Reaction score
ok guys, I got a new hydrometer in the mail today from Ohio Brew stores. same as the one you get from NB. tested my saison that used 565 after 2 weeks in the fermenter and it reads at 1.001 (which is some DAMN whicked attenuation). however I checked it in tap water and it checks water as .995.. with it being off .005 are my readings totally fubar'd or do I just adjust up .005 points when I take my FG readings.

1) Tap water (as far as I know) isn't "pure water" therefore, won't have exactly a 1.0000 reading

2) a Hydrometer is calibrated for either 61 or 68 degrees F, You need to adjust the readings to account for your temperature (there are handy calculators on the web for this)

1) Tap water (as far as I know) isn't "pure water" therefore, won't have exactly a 1.0000 reading

2) a Hydrometer is calibrated for either 61 or 68 degrees F, You need to adjust the readings to account for your temperature (there are handy calculators on the web for this)

ok, gotcha, was just wondering becaue my last hydrometer that broke measured exactly 1.000 in the same tap water. as for temp correction. have no way to do that just yet since my thermometer got busted in the same accident that killed my hydrometer. I just wanted to make sure that the .005 difference wouldn't completely make all numbers invalid (basically telling me 1.001 for final grav and it really being 1.035 or something crazy). I'm assuming that if it reads 1.001 again in a few days I can bottle the saison without fear.

however, on a side note. I'm honestly shocked that after 2 weeks WLP 565 saison yeast attenuated that well. no stalling whatsoever. even if I bump up my FG is around 1.006 I didn't hit the 1.030 stall point :D

The reading should be 1.000 @66F. Purity of tap water isn't an issue with gravity,so it should read 1 flat.

I'm not going to check the instructions with my hydrometer, but I am pretty sure all of them are calibrated to 1.000 in 59 F water.

If the temperature is higher, the reading will be lower. .005 error (reading low) would be +40 degrees, or 100F.

To the OP. Tap water is not necessarily pure, and might come in somewhere between .999 and 1.001. If you do confirm the hydrometer is reading .005 low, all you need to do is add .005 to all your readings.

If the hydrometer does not read correctly, then something has shifted. I would be concerned that it could shift again sometime.

I'm not going to check the instructions with my hydrometer, but I am pretty sure all of them are calibrated to 1.000 in 59 F water.

If the temperature is higher, the reading will be lower. .005 error (reading low) would be +40 degrees, or 100F.

To the OP. Tap water is not necessarily pure, and might come in somewhere between .999 and 1.001. If you do confirm the hydrometer is reading .005 low, all you need to do is add .005 to all your readings.

If the hydrometer does not read correctly, then something has shifted. I would be concerned that it could shift again sometime.

I'll check the temp of the water to be sure when I get my thermometer, but I doubt it's over 75 degree water coming out of the tap. I got it from amazon so I'll probably have to just ask for a replacement from the seller

Back