Hydrometer problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suicid

Reaction score
Hiallppl!

I have a cylinder about 1 inch in dia and constantly have a problem with taking a hydrometer readings. Very often hydrometer just sticks to the cylinder's wall and stops floating.

If hydrometer is in the center strictly vertical, there is about 5 mm between walls and widest part of its body.

I tried tilt the jar, turn the hydrometer, knock it by finger - nothing helps.

I also noticed it starts stick on after I wash the jar using dishwasher agent. If I just rinse it with water in between of readings, it sticks anyway but much less.

Besides going for wider jar, is here any way to make it float freely?

Thanks!

I just rinse the hydrometer sample tube between uses. The tube doesn't go into the beer and I drink the sample instead of returning it.
Spin the hydrometer while holding the sample tube. You will be able to tilt the tube, to get free rotation, while holding it versus setting it on a work surface.

Thanks for all your replies.

Gavin, my setup looks pretty much same.

Unfortunately spinning&tilting does not work for me by some reasons. Whatever I do, hydrometer always ends up with sticking to the tube\s walls :(

Maybe try wiping the hydrometer with some chlorox wipes and the same for the tube. There may be some debris on one or the other. This might dislodge it. I'm all out of answers I'm afraid

Back