hydrometer, plastic or glass better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weevil

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a hydrometer. There seem to big range in prices etc. Any general advice?

Specificly, is glass or plastic better? I'd think plastic is harder to break but is glass better in some way?

I've never seen a plastic hydrometer. Link?

I think I just realized what you're looking at. The test cylinders come in glass or plastic, but the test cylinder is not the hydrometer. The cylinder is just that. It holds the sample of wort/beer so the hydrometer can float in it. As far as I'm concerned plastic is the way to go. I can't think of any reason to use glass for that.

Plastic once are more expensive, whatever I saw was around $40. On another hand - I'm already going through my third or fourth glass hydrometer in 3 years. Decide for yourself.

No, what I was looking at said the actual hydrometer was plastic, but I'll take another look to be sure.

<---- note description under my name...

Anyways, while I have never seen a plastic hydrometer, the glass ones are relatively inexpensive, and if unlike me, you are careful handling them, they work just fine...

:mug:

If you find a plastic one, there are many people that would appreciate a link. Me, I've busted more cylinders (2-plastic) than hydrometers (1-glass).

I see no reason why it wouldn't work. As long as the manufacturer calibrated it correctly (which you can check), a hydrometer is just a floaty with tick-marks. I guess with the question of quality/cheapo-ness comes the question of if it will fall apart somehow. The scale could be attached with a cheap adhesive or something.

Latest posts

Back