hydrometer? Oh crap!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty3777

Reaction score
I started my first beer last night - it was a lot of fun. I am reading some posts today to learn how long to let it ferment and I keep coming across the term "gravity reading." I didn't take one during the initial process and I am wondering whether to take one during the fermentation process. My gut tells me to not bother with it my first time out and leave the fermenter alone for 1.5 weeks. Then I plan to bottle and let them sit for 2 weeks. Does this make sense? Or should I be using the hydrometer to determine when to bottle?

I am using an extract kit - American Wheat from John Bull.

After the 1.5 weeks, take a gravity reading. Compare this reading to your expected Final Gravity. If it seems off, put the lid/stopper/airlock back on and let it sit. If it seems ok, take a gravity reading for 3 days, if it hasn't changed for 3 days in a row (by this time, it's been in primary for ~2 weeks), rack to secondary for a week or leave sit another week and bottle. (If it's a beer that is supposed to be cloudy, then keep in primary, don't rack to secondary.) What style are you brewing?

I think a big mistake noobs make is taking hydro reading too often. I did this in the beginning but had to many problems with infection. I just wait till the yeast falls out of the beer and rack to a keg (about 3 weeks) or bottling bucket. The hydro reading tells what your alcohol % will be but if that's not important to you don't bother, besides it too late now cause fermentation has started.

After the 1.5 weeks, take a gravity reading. Compare this reading to your expected Final Gravity. If it seems off, put the lid/stopper/airlock back on and let it sit. If it seems ok, take a gravity reading for 3 days, if it hasn't changed for 3 days in a row (by this time, it's been in primary for ~2 weeks), rack to secondary for a week or leave sit another week and bottle. (If it's a beer that is supposed to be cloudy, then keep in primary, don't rack to secondary.) What style are you brewing?

I think this is what he's brewing

monty... you gotta reply to Revvy before you get Revvied !!! ( agree with the 3 weeks in bottles ) and + 1 on checking the SG after 2 weeks in primary. I usually take my reading then wait 3 days and take another. its seems to me that taking one every day for three days just increases the chance of introducing nasties. when it hasn't changed you can bottle if you want, but, it won't do anything but make it better if you can stand to wait another week or so...

monty... you gotta reply to Revvy before you get Revvied !!! ( agree with the 3 weeks in bottles ) and + 1 on checking the SG after 2 weeks in primary. I usually take my reading then wait 3 days and take another. its seems to me that taking one every day for three days just increases the chance of introducing nasties. when it hasn't changed you can bottle if you want, but, it won't do anything but make it better if you can stand to wait another week or so...

I agree with not checking every day, I just posted my procedure, which is adjusted for my own laziness (in that I'd not check it in between).

So, the plan should be to leave the beer in the fermenter for 2 weeks and then in the bottle for 3-4 weeks? I guess the point is the longer the better.

I was only talking about you bottling time...but yeah, usually 3 to 4 weeks is the time it takes for the beer to carb up and condition. If you read the post and watch the video in it, it explains why.

And longer is always better. I leave mine in primary for up to a month, then bottle. And I don't even look at my bottles until the 3 week mark.

I started my first beer last night - it was a lot of fun. I am reading some posts today to learn how long to let it ferment and I keep coming across the term "gravity reading." I didn't take one during the initial process and I am wondering whether to take one during the fermentation process. My gut tells me to not bother with it my first time out and leave the fermenter alone for 1.5 weeks. Then I plan to bottle and let them sit for 2 weeks. Does this make sense? Or should I be using the hydrometer to determine when to bottle?

Your gut is correct :)
Most people leave a beer in the fermenter for 3 weeks but with an American Wheat beer 2 weeks should be sufficient.
Check you gravity at the end of 2 weeks and if it is around your expected FG (I'm guessing about 1.010) then you can bottle. Taking multiple readings several days apart is a good way to absolutely verify the beer is done fermenting but I have not found it necessary if you leave it in the fermenter at good temperatures for 2 of more weeks.

With extract brewing, if you have your recipe and your volumes are accurate you can calculate a very accurate OG value for your beer. If you make it from a kit then this value is probably on the recipe.

Good luck and enjoy the beer.

Craig

You won't be Revvied if you just taste one bottle at two weeks. It probably won't be fully carbed but it's really hard to wait on your first batch. However, you WILL be Revvied if you taste a bottle at 2 weeks and post a thread about it not being fully carbed. :D

Bottled my 2nd ever brew a couple of weeks ago. After reading the posts here I left it in the fermenter for 3 weeks and I am SO glad I did. Nice clear smooth beer! Patience does get rewarded in this hobby.

2 weeks minimum in the primary. I have a barleywine I'm leaving 4 weeks in the primary, the tripel I'm doing this weekend will be 3 weeks in the primary or longer depending on whether it reaches terminal gravity (Belgians are in no hurry to finish). My lagers will stay in the primary six weeks. I don't secondary because I keg. When I bottled I still did minimum 2 weeks in the primary and bottled when the beer looked clear enough I could see through the carboy with a flashlight.

Once in keg/bottles I allow one week for every 10 gravity points for it to reach the peak of flavor, a week for every 20 gravity points is the minimum for it to be quaffable. For a 1.040 beer it will be ready to drink in two weeks but will peak after four, and so on.

The only exception is for wheat beers (hefe, wit) since the yeast won't flocculate, most wheats are ready to drink in 3-4 weeks and will bottle carbonate in a week if you flip the bottles upside down and right side up every few days.

Once in keg/bottles I allow one week for every 10 gravity points for it to reach the peak of flavor, a week for every 20 gravity points is the minimum for it to be quaffable. For a 1.040 beer it will be ready to drink in two weeks but will peak after four, and so on.

Wow, this is the best "rule of thumb" on this, I have ever heard!

:mug:

2 weeks minimum in the primary. I have a barleywine I'm leaving 4 weeks in the primary, the tripel I'm doing this weekend will be 3 weeks in the primary or longer depending on whether it reaches terminal gravity (Belgians are in no hurry to finish). My lagers will stay in the primary six weeks. I don't secondary because I keg. When I bottled I still did minimum 2 weeks in the primary and bottled when the beer looked clear enough I could see through the carboy with a flashlight.

The only exception is for wheat beers (hefe, wit) since the yeast won't flocculate, most wheats are ready to drink in 3-4 weeks and will bottle carbonate in a week if you flip the bottles upside down and right side up every few days.

Cool, never heard that before but it makes sense. Good rule of thumb

You won't be Revvied if you just taste one bottle at two weeks. It probably won't be fully carbed but it's really hard to wait on your first batch. However, you WILL be Revvied if you taste a bottle at 2 weeks and post a thread about it not being fully carbed. :D

Isn't that kinda what the BEGINNERS section is for? I mean the tag line indicates that any question is welcome. I think it's kinda bizarre to read this portion of the forum and get all upset at first-timer questions. What do you expect when you read a question posted in a section for BEGINNERS.

Anyway, I've gained a lot of knowledge by posting really basic questions here. :tank:

Isn't that kinda what the BEGINNERS section is for? I mean the tag line indicates that any question is welcome. I think it's kinda bizarre to read this portion of the forum and get all upset at first-timer questions. What do you expect when you read a question posted in a section for BEGINNERS.

Anyway, I've gained a lot of knowledge by posting really basic questions here. :tank:

Monty, that is indeed what the beginning forum is for. I was poking a little fun at being Revvied not the question asking.

Monty, that is indeed what the beginning forum is for. I was poking a little fun at being Revvied not the question asking.

Yeah, I shouldn't have used your post as my starting point. I sent a PM. Sorry.:mug:

Back