Hydrometer Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deepincider

Reaction score
I am trying to see what my gravity is of my juice concentrate, but I can't get a reading. In 36oz of apple juice concentrate @ 65 degrees F my hydrometer floats like a bobber and won't sink. In 36oz of pure water at 63 degrees F it will sink. Do I have to cut the concentrate with water just to get a reading?

If it is about what the hydrometer can read then yet. It suppose to float, not sink all the way. Concentrated juices will have a high gravity reading. Must be about 1.200 right? In water It should read 1.000 but still be floating.

Yeah in water it reads about 1.000 but in the concentrate it won't even drop at all. The bottom floats all the way to its tip of the bottom where the mercury sits. My juice temp is around 65-68.

Hydrometers won't read concentrate, it is out of their range. A refractometer would work, The concentrate should have a label telling you % sugar, this is brix so find a brix/sg converter.

That must be some concentrated juice. I would just ignore the temperature if its that close to 60 because it really would not make a difference in the reading. Guess it is too much sugar for the hydrometer to read. You need to get one that can measure higher concentration or just make a 50/50 solution with water and measure that. Then just time 2 the read out to find the OG of the concentrated. Of course if it reads 1.020 twice is 1.040 and so on not 2.040.

Hydrometers won't read concentrate, it is out of their range. A refractometer would work, The concentrate should have a label telling you % sugar, this is brix so find a brix/sg converter.

If its out of range of the hydrometer it will be on a refractometer. Most are the about same readings.

Back