Hydrometer dropped like a rock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liztic

Reaction score
I'm hoping that my lack of knowledge will lead to an obvious answer to this, so here goes!

When I started this brew, my first, i didn't have a hydrometer, so didn't have a reading. That said, I followed the directions that came with the kit (bucket for 5 days, then secondary for 7-10). Tonight is night 7, so last night i purchased a hydrometer and decided to take a sample as i've read that when it remains constant i can keg it. Took the sample, placed my hydrometer in it and it dropped, no floating or anything. Or did it? I was able to see the alcohol portion of the hydrometer and it did read shortly below 5%. I want to say that my batch said it should be 1.008.

If the hydrometer is touching the bottom of your container, it's not an accurate reading, if thats what you mean by not floating.

The 5% alcohol number shouldn't be used to measure the FG, it's just a guide to calculate your alcohol content, but you need both OG and FG to calculate that. Also, I'm guessing your 5% marker is somewhere around 1.04, not 1.018...

If you have a triple scale brewing hydrometer, the % scale is used to estimate the amount of alcohol in the finished product.
So if your beer starts at the 6% mark and stops at the 1% mark, the alcohol content is about 5%.
If there is only one % scale it might a hydrometer for measuring salinity or antifreeze solutions.

If the hydrometer is touching the bottom of your container, it's not an accurate reading, if thats what you mean by not floating.

The 5% alcohol number shouldn't be used to measure the FG, it's just a guide to calculate your alcohol content, but you need both OG and FG to calculate that. Also, I'm guessing your 5% marker is somewhere around 1.04, not 1.018...

I can't recall if it was rock bottom, but it was definately close too the bottom.

If you have a triple scale brewing thermometer, the % scale is used to estimate the amount of alcohol in the finished product.
Do if your beer starts at the 6% mark and stops at the 1% mark, the alcohol content is about 5%

It is a triple scale

I'm guessing that final gravity is pretty low with that style. You are probably right where you are suppose to be. If not, carbonate, drink and brew again. :)

I just checked my triple scale. If you are reading 5% alcohol, your beer is definitely not done, as it will be above 1.03...

Try another measurement, make sure it is indeed floating, and try to read the gravity. Spin the hydrometer around and let it settle a few times to see if you get the same readings.

I've found that too small of a sample will sometimes not float the hydro.

I have now marked on my test jar were the level needs to be before dropping the hydrometer in to make sure it is floating.

patience is a virtue that forgot about me,

I can tell. 5 days in primary? Then kegging after a week? We'll forgive you for the first brew, but you'll learn to give it more time as you go. I couldn't wait for my first one, but after you taste what a properly conditioned beer is like compared to a green one, you'll happily wait. Well, you'll wait unhappily until you have plenty of conditioned homebrews to drink and then you'll be happy waiting after that. :D

The other problem with kegging so soon, you'll have trub settling out for the first 3 weeks and every time you draw a pint, you'll get yeast.

One of the big reasons for ensuring your beer is finished fermenting is to eliminate the possibility of bottle bombs...you have zero possibility of that if you are kegging. I'm not advocating this, but you can pretty much keg it whenever you want, you'll just have unfinished beer. You will be very happy if you wait a bit longer. But, if you are that impatient, as most new brewers are (Myself included when I was new)...then keg away, drink your green beer, and brew the next batch and allow plenty of fermentation time lol

Liztic, if you can wait - (we know it's hard, we've all been there) your beer will be better. 5 days? 7 days? Some of us (the ones that make the best beers :D) wait 4-5 weeks before we keg, and then another 3.

Welcome to the hobby.
Pick up a hydrometer test jar (they're pretty cheap) or use the plastic tube your hydrometer came in - fill it up near the top so it definitely floats.....

I brewed this same kit about 4 weeks back, kegged it after 3 weeks and it is delicious. I dry hopped with an ounce of Cascade hops and it is really nice. All my buddies like it more than Rickard's Red. Enjoy!

sorry about slow response, lack of internet and successful first brew make response times slower!

I did end up taking another reading, and i believe my first reading was off b/c of lack of sample amount in the jar. the second one floated beautifully. i have to admit there is a small off taste to the beer, and have my third in fermentation now, where it will wait long as i've got two on kegs and pouring nicely!!

Back