Hydrometer Discrepancy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTXBrauer

Reaction score
I recently found a deal on CL and picked up a starter kit, to add some additional brewing equipment to the arsenal. In doing so, I added a 2nd hydrometer that I can take SG readings with.

Just now, I took a SG reading and have 2 varying results from the same beer sample. One hydrometer read 1.006 and the other 1.010. The target FG for the Belgian Blond I am working on is 1.008, so I am definitely in the range. My gut is telling me to go with the hydrometer made in Germany vs. the no-name one I picked up in the kit.

Do any of you take SG readings with multiple hydrometers? What type of delta have you experienced?

Good call. Just checked the 2 against each other, and the kit hydrometer is 1.000....My go-to 13 year old one appears now to be a bit off at .997 with a delta of .003. This difference is representative of the delta in the SG I just got on my Blond. I will have to look into the reliable lifespan on a hydrometer.

Back