Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danniscoops

Reaction score
incoming noob!!! I recently purchased my first starter kit (Bulldog Micro Brewery - IPA - Starter Equipment and Beer Kit). I followed the instructions provided and have now also watched several videos on youtube.

The pack came with a better brew hydrometer by hambletonbard. This hydrometer has a scale running from 0 to 100 ( images attached) however the instructions call for a reading of 1007 or less - My question is, is there a formula I need to apply to my scale to get a reading in the 1000s?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm really enjoying the process to date and don't want to fail on the last steps.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-29 at 15.27.37.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-29 at 15.27.37.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 92
Not a stupid question. Based on your screenshot they just left off the 1.___. So, the bottom of your hydrometer where it says 0 is actually a reading of 1.000- which is the reading for distilled water. The top reading is 1.100.
And by the way- Welcome to the Forum! :mug:

Not a stupid question. Based on your screenshot they just left off the 1.___. So, the bottom of your hydrometer where it says 0 is actually a reading of 1.000- which is the reading for distilled water. The top reading is 1.100.
And by the way- Welcome to the Forum! :mug:
Thank you for your help - Just to make sure I have understood the picture below shows where I think 1007 will be can you just give it a check?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-29 at 15.27.37.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-29 at 15.27.37.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 63
That hydrometer doesn't seem to have a SG scale on it, at least the side you showed us. The numbers normally get bigger as you go down the shaft towards the bulb. Is there another scale on the other side that goes the other way?

The best match I can find is a Proof and Tralle hydrometer that measure alcohol proof on a 0 to 200 scale and a degrees Tralle scale of 0 to 100. I don't think it would work for beer at all.

To test it out, float it in normal water, I doubt it will get anywhere near the 0 mark. If you have some spirits of known proof, you can confirm by floating it in that.

That hydrometer doesn't seem to have a SG scale on it, at least the side you showed us. The numbers normally get bigger as you go down the shaft towards the bulb. Is there another scale on the other side that goes the other way?

The best match I can find is a Proof and Tralle hydrometer that measure alcohol proof on a 0 to 200 scale and a degrees Tralle scale of 0 to 100. I don't think it would work for beer at all.

To test it out, float it in normal water, I doubt it will get anywhere near the 0 mark. If you have some spirits of known proof, you can confirm by floating it in that.

Nice catch. Listen to this guy he is absolutely right.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-29 at 16.29.23.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-29 at 16.29.23.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 58

Thank you!!!!!!

I think you have nailed it, this is the images from the other side of the hydrometer - it's what came with the kit. I have ordered a new one.

I'd complain to the company you got the kit from, according to Bulldog Brews and Amazon, the kit should contain a beer and wine hydrometer. That's a spirit/distillation one.

Interesting, I've never seen or heard of an alcohol proofing hydrometer, but looking at the pic, I see what you're talking about- it's not a linear scale.
I recently watched one of Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs episodes about a brewery/distillery in Newport and they were monitoring their distillation with a hydrometer in a collector tube on the condenser outlet. It would make sense that the scale would be this type and not the beer ones we are used to.

Back