hydrometer and refractometer doint agree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
checked hydrometer at 64 F in what I think is distilled water ....gravity is 1.000
Checked refractometer at 64 F in what I think is distilled water....gravity is 1.000

Checked hydrometer at 68 F in wort......gravity is 1.006
checked refractometer at 68 F in wort.....gravity is 6 brix with should be 1.024...
BIG Difference
Can anyone tell me what is going on here? what could I be doing wrong?
I spin the hydrometer to get off bubbles, checked several times with the same results.

darn it excuse me..my refractometer was off it was at 0 guess I adjusted it wrong but now the same as the hydrometer
. someday I will learn how to read.

Wort or fermented beer? Cuz there is a difference. You wont get correct refractometer readings post fermentation. The alcohol affects the way the light travels through it and give you incorrect readings. If it is pre-fermentation, I have a hard time believing the wort is 1.006.

If you did in fact take the reading post fermentation and everything adds up Im gonna guess your OG to be 1.070?

Refractometers are not accurate when alcohol is present in the sample. Brewers Friend has a conversion calculator for the refractometer reading.

darn it ..I know this (I am a dumb head today I guess) Sat here wondering what was wrong and you guys set me straight.
Thank you..(wiping the sweat off his brow)

Back