Hydro sample return risk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambleside

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I always drink my hydro sample or ditch it, or don't even bother (just watch the airlock).

But was showing the process to someone and totally blanked and poured the sample back to my bucket.

I'm 90% sure I'm good:
Thief, hydro, test tube were soaked in PBW for half hour, rinse, then sprayed with star San.

But my question is:
If I hypothetically did infect it with some sort of particle of **** that floated onto the sample, what sort of infection are we talking? Not like a crazy lacto infection obvs, but what would I be finding?

Been answered before, but I'm more interested in what the infection outcome of this sort would be.

****, please relax my nerves. Cheers

Acetobacter...but likely not a concern, as you sterilized the **** out of your test gear. I don't do that to my sampling gear as I tend to taste sample as well.

Acetobacter...but likely not a concern, as you sterilized the **** out of your test gear. I don't do that to my sampling gear as I tend to taste sample as well.

Thanks Ben. Looked acetobacter up and that makes sense. How long would it take for an already fermented beer to show signs (pellicile and vinegar smells) if it was infected?

I return my hydro samples all the time, never had an infection yet. *knocks on wood*

I am a fiend with my sterilization, however. I often have trouble reading the hydrometer due to Star-San foam. I brew smaller batches (2-2.5 gallons) and can't afford to waste any wort.

I brewed a RIS last night, however, and realized I hadn't sanitized the hydro-tube after taking the sample, but before pouring it back in. 8 ounces of future-finished beer, gone...

:(

I tasted it, but it's so sweet with fermentables (1.090 OG) that I couldn't taste the supposed 80-85 IBUs of the hops at all.

Thanks Ben. Looked acetobacter up and that makes sense. How long would it take for an already fermented beer to show signs (pellicile and vinegar smells) if it was infected?

That's just it, it won't stop fermenting. If your readings are stable, you shouldn't have an infection.

That's just it, it won't stop fermenting. If your readings are stable, you shouldn't have an infection.

Gotcha, the reading was about 1.005, so if I was to take another in a few days and it had dropped, that would be the sign of the infection fermenting? Good to know.

Back