hydrate s-04?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I upgraded my yeast to s-04 dry yeast. First time doing it. Does it work the same way as muntons? Do I hydrate before i pitch? On the package it says just to pitch.

You'll be fine pitching it on top, but re-hydrate if your comfortable doing it. I always re-hydrate when I use dry yeasts.

Here it comes............

Personally, I re-hydrate all dry yeast. 15 minutes in warm water while I am x-ferring to the fermenter.

It just makes sense.

I rehydrate my yeast as well. It's easy and any little edge I give my yeasty beasties the better.

Necessary... no, I've pitched dry with great results.

Here's a link to the data sheet at Fermentis. Say to rehydrate (or not.)

http://www.fermentis.com/FO/pdf/HB/EN/Safale_S-04_HB.pdf

Yeah. It a packaging issue. I have some that suggest re-hydation on the package and others that do not. never bothered to look at the package dates to see if there was a switch. I just assume that they changed their position and took a while to catch up on their package labels.

I used S-04 in my last batch, and like the package said just pitched it in without re-hydrating. My attenuation was not as much as I was hoping for. So, I can't say for certain whether this was the reason why, but from now on I am planning to always re-hydrate dry yeasts.

I like to rehydrate my yeast. If I am doing a 5gal batch, I will boil 2cups of water, add a couple tablespoons of DME, and pitch my yeast in an hour or 2 before I start.

It is not quite a starter, because of the low gravity, but i know for sure I have happy and healthy yeasties.

I used S-04 in my last batch, and like the package said just pitched it in without re-hydrating. My attenuation was not as much as I was hoping for. So, I can't say for certain whether this was the reason why, but from now on I am planning to always re-hydrate dry yeasts.

S-04 has low attenuation properties, IIRC, its like 65-70%

I usually just boil a bit of water, let it cool to ~70 deg. sometimes I'll drop in a pinch of sugar, then toss the yeast in. Usually they are active within a few minutes.

I rehydrated for the first two batches I did with dry yeast. I haven't rehydrated since then and haven't had a problem.

I rehydrate. The yeast has been dehydrated and until it is rehydrated it cannot fully control what comes and goes through its cell membrane/wall. They are packaged in such a way that the amount that die during this transition, if pitched dry, will not throw off the pitch rate for normal beers. It was once portrayed to me in this fashion, "I like eggs for breakfast. I just want to be awake before someone shoves them in my mouth."

Anthropomorphizing? Yeah. Analogous? Yeah, again.

Here's a n00b question on rehydration (which I will be doing for my next batch). I will follow the nuke 2 cups of water in Pyrex cup path and then add the yeast when the temp drops to 100°F, cover and let stand for 30 minutes.

My question is, what is the best way to add it to the fermentor? I ferment in a 6.5 gal carboy so should I just pour it in to the carboy after my wort has reached the proper temp (I also use an air stone for aeration), swish it around some or?

Here's a n00b question on rehydration (which I will be doing for my next batch). I will follow the nuke 2 cups of water in Pyrex cup path and then add the yeast when the temp drops to 100°F, cover and let stand for 30 minutes.

My question is, what is the best way to add it to the fermentor? I ferment in a 6.5 gal carboy so should I just pour it in to the carboy after my wort has reached the proper temp (I also use an air stone for aeration), swish it around some or?

It's best to have both the yeast slurry and wort at (or near) fermentation temperatures prior to pitching, so once those temps are reached, you can pour the yeast slurry right in. And it's best to get the yeast slurry from initial rehydration temps (80s-90s°F) to pitching temps relatively slowly. Also, 2 cups of water is a bit much. Fermentis instructions (and probably applicable to other dry yeasts) state 10 times the dry yeast weight in water. So, for an 11.5 gram package, that's 115 mL (or ~1/2 cup) since 1 mL of water weighs 1 gram.

J rehydrate mine. put 11.7gr right on top of 2.5 gal of wort and let it sit for ten minutes.

Then I stir the be-jesus out of it. Works every time.

Back