Hybrid Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceantendency

Reaction score
Lil mix between an American and Belgian Pale Ale, or at least that was the basis for the plan. What do ya'll think?
9 lbs- Belgian Pilsner
12.1 oz Honey Malt
9.1 oz- Melanoidin
8.9 oz- Caramel Pilsner
8.1 oz- Crystal 60*L
1.0 oz- Perle Hops (9.4%) @ 35 min (apparently I got shafted 0.2oz)
0.8oz- Perle (9.4%) @ 10 min
90 min @ 148*F
80 min boil
Cal V pitched @ 65*, slow ramp to 68*, holding steady and started in about 3.5hrs.

6 gal batch, OG-1.052, target is 1.013, 5.15% ABV, 35.85 IBU's, and 9 SRM ( however color seems closer to @ 11SRM as of now). Tastes pretty much as intended. I remeasured my hops out twice, looks like the 2oz package was only 1.8oz., kinda sucks when you plan with an addition to have 1.2oz, made the best of it, def was an adventure...I had some older CAL V left overs in a vial (1/3 of a vial- I usually don't pitch an entire vial into a starter so that I can grow out at a later time to keep fresh yeast, but forgot to grow this guy out..oops), so I made a 2L starter on Friday afternoon, brewed last night, and pitched at 9:06pm, apparently it worked out just fine, fermentation still took off within about 3 hrs and had enough extra yeast to refill the vial.

Bottled and kegged on 4/14/14 while waiting for the blood moon to show..so It's officially called Pale Blood Moon Ale-special reserve ! I had to pour another sample while bottling...wow this stuff is good. Finished at 1.009

So I had to do a cross comparison with Mammoth brewing Co Pale Ale along with my hybrid Am/Belgian Pale Ale. Mine is on the right with Mammoth on the left. I also let my wifey taste both blindly and she easily picked mine as smoother, crisper, and a silky smooth finish

20140518_201923.jpg

20140518_202625.jpg

Latest posts

Back