Hybrid Fermentation with W-34/70

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm going to brew 5.5gal of Brulosophy's German Helles Exportbier with some minor hop changes and no cara-pils. Using W-34/70 in ale temperatures. 18C i think.

You can look at the recipe/experiment below.

http://brulosophy.com/2016/02/08/fe...ager-yeast-saflager-3470-exbeeriment-results/

My question is how much lager yeast should i use?

Mr.malty is telling me 1.3 packs for 1.051 OG with the "Hybrid" fermentation setting.

Thanks, this looks like an exciting way to get a lager like beer quickly and without true lagering!

When using lager yeast at ale temperatures, i use the same pitching rates as in ales. I think there are higher pitching recommendations because of the colder temperatures and thus less active yeast at lager temps.

I'm currently drinking this beer. Its still young and is a little hazy but its fully carbed and is my best everyday beer to date, for me after probably 50+ all grain batches.

I really like the softness of pilsner malt and i also have very soft local water that i never played around with yet.

Grain bill was

90.5% Canadian superior pilsner
9.5% Vienna - i think its briess, i will have to ask sometime :D

Hops: ~28IBU

0.5oz magnum 60min
0.5oz Saaz 15min
0.5oz Tettnang 5 min

That sounds pretty good right now. If you weren't so far away, I'd volunteer to come over & help you with a "taste test"!

That sounds pretty good right now. If you weren't so far away, I'd volunteer to come over & help you with a "taste test"!

Yeah i drinking early today! Back to work thrusday on a ship. Zero booze for 14 days!

I'm super happy with the beer though, it might well be my first house beer after brewing all grain for close to 2 years now. Just been looking for a simple and easy drinking beer. This fits the bill! I really like the softness has i said. I might try %15 vienna next days off. Vienna and pilsner really compliment each other IMO.

I just did a 34/70 lager at ale temps same as yourself and i think it turned out great after week in keg!. Its got the lager crispness and will only get better with time.

Back