Hunting Stories!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CannibalAJ

Reaction score
The 2012 Deer Season (gun) is almost upon me here in Central New York! Buck fever has already struck many of my friends who bow hunt, but I have too many expensive hobbies (motorcycles, homebrew, etc.) to afford the extra weekends away from my wife.

Any who, one of my favorite aspects of hunting are the stories we hunters exchange about that great shot, the one that got away, or deer camp antics. They usually start with lots of truth, but over the years, turn into a tall tale. I'll start with my story:

Last year I was sitting in my stand on a particularly warm day thinking to myself that it was getting too warm for anything to be moving around. My dad always told me that when you want to head in, always wait another half hour just to be sure. I generally do what my predicesors suggest, so I waited. Fifteen minutes later, about 10 AM, a young-ish 6 pointer crested the berm to my left. I should have waited longer because my Ithaca 12-gauge failed to reach out and touch him. Lesson learned! Patience is certainly a value!

So I, of course, tell my hunting buddy the story and he gives me a good ribbing, but we both tried to learn from my mistake. Flash forward 2 weeks, he was in that same stand at about the same time and that same buck came over that same berm. My buddy, remembering my story, waited... too long! Last year was his first year deer hunting and he made a critical error of not shouldering his gun until the buck was right under him! Needless to say, he missed!!

Come to find out, 2 weeks later, my brother-in-law was hunting the same stand and the same dang buck did the same dang thing. At this point that sneaky buck was weary of us and caught wind of my bro-n-law (apparently he shouldn't of eaten all that pepperoni the night before) and got away!

As a group, we have all vowed that if that sucker shows up this year he is toast!

6-pointer ain't even legal to shoot here anymore unless it's bow season.

Few years back scouted out a decent spot to sit in a tree where I could watch a watering hole. For some reason right before daylight broke I just looked behind me for enough time to catch a massive 10-pointer walk across the field. Was no way I could get turned around to catch a site on him.

next year was still-hunting the same area, caught a glimpse of a deer and started to trail it, finally pushed the buck into a clearing, rose up and got a site on him, same damn massive buck, then noticed something wasn't right in the scope, dropped the gun down as the buck was running 15 feet in front of the neighbors front door of his house, I had lost my coordinates in the woods and had come out on the back. Never saw that buck again, but heard from my uncle a real nice one was taken later that year in the same area.

Last big buck I've seen. I rarely hunt now.

Back