Huge Brew Kettle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMikeAZ

Reaction score
My friend has a huge kettle he inherited that he has no idea what to do with until I saw it. I don't know much about these kettles, I have some info, I would like to know if this is something that can be used for a brew kettle. I think it can, but maybe you can confirm this for me please.

400 gallon Groen, Jacketed Kettle, stainless steel, National Board #138786, product chamber rated at 15 PSI maximum working pressure (MAWP) & full vacuum at 30" Hg., jacket has MAWP rating of 100 PSI at 338º F & minimum design metal temperature (MDMT) rating of -20º F at 100 PSI, 60" diameter x 17.5" straight side height with 30" hemispherical bottom, top has 18" diameter manway rated for 15 PSI at 250º F, 15" wide x 64" long center agitator bridge, 70" diameter x 90" high total dimensions.

56872.jpg

Is it April Fool's Day already? ;)

I'm just trying to get my mind wrapped around the size of all of the other vessels that running a four hundred gallon kettle would require. Never mind how much it would cost to run a batch through such a system - or the fact that batch of home brew would wildly exceed federal law...

Cheers!

Well, as far as the size, yes, its huge. Way too big for my current equipment. My friend also inherited a bomb pump for this thing and an awesome chiller. We would only need to get a large(thinking 60-100 gal) mash tun and I have a connection on cheap 90-150 gallon fermentors in the mean time until we can get all the large equipment for this. Basically only using 1/2 or less of the BK off the bat.

As far as heating goes, we just need to get a boiler to hook up to it.

Basically, my friend who has this stuff also owns a warehouse where we can file for a brewery license if needed because of the size of the fermentor.

But the other thought was to have large home brew events where everyone can bring a fermentor and fill it with the wort and we would not be breaking any laws then.

My friend has a huge kettle he inherited that he has no idea what to do with until I saw it. I don't know much about these kettles, I have some info, I would like to know if this is something that can be used for a brew kettle. I think it can, but maybe you can confirm this for me please.

400 gallon Groen, Jacketed Kettle, stainless steel, National Board #138786, product chamber rated at 15 PSI maximum working pressure (MAWP) & full vacuum at 30" Hg., jacket has MAWP rating of 100 PSI at 338º F & minimum design metal temperature (MDMT) rating of -20º F at 100 PSI, 60" diameter x 17.5" straight side height with 30" hemispherical bottom, top has 18" diameter manway rated for 15 PSI at 250º F, 15" wide x 64" long center agitator bridge, 70" diameter x 90" high total dimensions.

Well it looks like you have a batch reactor there. They are used to ... make stuff. I'm on my phone and don't see your picture, but if it is steam jacketed, you will need a steam boiler. If you have a gas fired steam boiler, you will need a proper boiler room, installed by a professional. If you get an electrical one, you'll need industrial power (mine runs on 480) or a transformer. "filing for a brewery license"... this is borderline hysterical. No small undertaking, trust me. I'm 8 months into the process, and I live in a rural area. You will need thousands of dollars worth of permits, inspections, impact analysis, licensing, etc etc etc etc.

I'd say pass.

Latest posts

Back