HUGE beer, Probably stuck fermentation. Need Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedBeered

Reaction score
Forgive me, Im new to this, but here is the lowdown.

My buddy and I have a Russian Imperial Stout in primary right now. It's been there since September 25. This beer is MASSIVE, which is what we were going for, but there was a miscalculation in the recipe.

This is the 2nd RIS we've done. The first one was fairly huge at an OG of 1.101, but it was all grain. We wanted to go bigger with this one. We shot for an OG of 1.200. We researched a lot beforehand and decided to go with WLP1099 yeast. We brewed an Irish Red as a starter, bottled that and pitched directly on the yeast cake.

Brewing process for this one is all-grain for the most part, but this one had (not looking at the recipe) ~5lb of Pale Malt Extract, 2lb Sugar, 4lb Honey (into primary) to increase fermentability.

Brew day: 8 Gallon, 2 step mash (intended) with steps at 144 (1hr) and 155 (1hr). Mash tun got stuck in the process of moving to the second step and we ended up at 155 for 25-30 minutes before mash out. We did an extended boil down to 5.5 Gallons (Here is where our miscalculation was. We didnt account for the increased boil time. It was an oversight, we knew we needed to.)

Basically, we WAY overshot our already ridiculous OG ending at about 150% (according to beersmith, 1.274).

The wort was added to the primary in 1 Gallon stages with the Honey. Fermentation was slow from the start, but measured gravity readings showed it dropping. We seem to be stuck at 1.120. After going back and modifying the recipe to what actually happened, the current projected ABV is ~20% (And it DEFINITELY smells like it) and final ABV would be a whopping and impossible 38%. This is not what we were going for. We were shooting for around 20%.

My question is this. We were thinking of possibly brewing another tiny stout (somewhere in the sub-1.060 range, with less dark specialty grains) blending for a 10 Gallon secondary and pitching another starter (Champagne?). Forgive me, I don't have the calcs in front of me, but I think this should put the secondary somewhere around these values to start OG of 1.090 and abv ~10%. WLP1099 can handle those conditions no problem, not sure about Champagne. If we can get that going and down to ~1.030 FG it should yield ~18%. This was an expensive brew and we'd hate to lose it, its clean, no off flavors at all, its just more suited to pancakes currently...

Opinions? Ideas? Please help!

Oh, and its getting Oaked w/bourbon afterwards.

I think you should add some water, split the batch in 2 carboys, add one gallon of water and then leave it set. if it takes off, you lowered the gravity below the threshold and it should finish off. You might not have the high gravity beer but you will have more of the RIS than your thinking. I might go all the way to split between 3 carboys and add 8oz every 8 hours to see when it takes off.

Thank you for the reply. :)

Am I correct in thinking that adding 20% water won't lower my ABV enough to attain my FG? 20% water would only drop my current ABV to 16% while my SG would drop to ~1.096. I would still have a long way to go and it seems the 1099 is sleeping at about 20%?

I have no idea, but I say yeah! Also you are in very slim company... DFH 120 minute IPA and Sam Adams Utopia are the ones I know in this general ABV area - less at under 30% I think - and these require all kinds of shenanigans. Never the less I'm happy to hear about a brewer that ignores the "yapping lapdogs of style appropriateness" as Randy Mosher calls them. I am not sure it really *is* beer actually. Good luck!

http://www.homebrewchef.com/120minuteIPArecipe.html

I'm getting prepped myself to do a relatively huge RIS. I decided it'd be an annual brew for me and I'm aiming for 1.140-1.150 dependent on overall efficiency. I'm going to mash in two stages since my cooler won't fit 32lbs of grain.

Anyhow my plan to up my fermentables where I'm hoping to go around 15%abv will be sugar additions of Kitul Jaggery. The additions will be made in the manner that is outlined in that 120min recipe writeup.

Now my amateur fix your problem. It sounds like if you brewed up a second stout of much lower gravity and blended them you should be ok. I would get the beer going with as much wlp099 as possible. After a bit you can start transferring some of the other stuck batch a bit at a time with yeast nutrient as well, If I were facing this problem I'd go like a gallon a day or 1.5g a day. You might want to oxygenate along this process since there is still a crap ton of sugars to eat and the yeast will certainly scrub the oxygen out.

According to my beer smith dilution calcs with the figures you provided.

5.5g of 1.274 wort OG if diluted with 4.5g of 1.060 wort will yield a wort with a theoretical new starting gravity 10g 1.178. I say theoretical because you already went from 1.274 to 1.120. If you got down to 1.020 which I think is possible with this yeast and the special care needed (as outlined by white labs). That would leave you right around 21%abv.

How the hell did you measure this? I assume you went off the beersmith estimation. Did you at least measure the wort gravity preboil to see what your efficiency was? Only reason I ask is your starting gravity might not be as high as 1.274. I know my hydrometers won't measure past 1.170 and my refrac will do about the same.

Anyhow not that I'm a pro or expert but I think your plan sounds pretty good. You just need to baby the yeast by slowly adding the high gravity partially fermented wort to get this bad boy to finish up. You'll have 10 gallons of stout for years to come. Just think about the aging you can do with this behemoth.

Bumping this thread. I have a similar situation with a RIS that is stuck at 1.060, and was thinking of blending the RIS with a smaller stout. Were you able to get to your fg?

I had an RIS that started at 1.109 and stuck at 1.038, so I pitched brett. It's going again now.

Badass man lol!

Thanks, heh. Not what I was going for, but it seemed the easiest way to deal with the stuck fermentation, and I warmed up to the idea of a bretted RIS too. Probably looking forward to it more than the original now :)

Back