Huge amounts of rain...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nefarious_1_

Reaction score
There has been an incredible amount of rain in Southern NY lately and my poor hops aren't doing too well. They're definitely growing, all are about 4 or 5 inches tall right now, but all this rain makes me real nervous about root rot and mildew.
All of April was pretty much rain, minus a few sunny days here and there. I think we had a total of 4 sunny days in a row, that's it. Then May comes along with a couple nice days, a couple rainy days, and now we're expecting another 2 1/2 inches over the course of the next week! Keep your fingers crossed and send some good karma over to my plants, they'll need it...

To the best of my knowleddge, I doubt you'll have much of a problem with root rot. It is most prevalent in indoor house plants that have poor drainage. It can occur outdoors, but if your hops were planted in soil that drains well (i.e. not clay), then you should be fine. If you are really concerned, you can aerate the soil around it and mix it with organic material or potting soil. Once again, this is to the best of my knowledge.

Yeah, once the sun come out its fine.Unless its wet cold along time.I just planted and we had some pretty rainy days, i even though about putting a bucket over the mounds(in heavy rainfall) but never rained heavily,I think just keeping it fairly moist not too wet and not drying out for days in the summer it should be fine.

I have clay soil but I amended it with organic garden soil, dehydrated manure, sand, and topsoil so drainage hopefully isn't a problem. It's mostly my paranoia... They just seem to be off to a slow start.

im in upstate NY and were having pretty much the same wether, i have 3 plants 2 fuggles and 1 goldings. the fuggles are going nuts and are about 6 feet tall already, goldings are struggling a bit the stalks are thinner and the plant is not nearly as tall. In short maybe its the variety you have planted, cross your fingers for a nice summer but I'm thinking were in store for a lot of rain

I planted 2 cascade, 1 willamette, and 1 goldings. The willamette and one cascade are about 4 or 5 inches right now (they've been up for about 2 weeks.) The goldings and the other cascade are only about 2 or 3 inches (they've been up for about a week.) I wonder if they're getting enough sun... Of course, I work during the day and there's been rain on the weekends so I never get a chance to see how much sun they actually get. Oh well, hoping for the best. Maybe next year will be better...

At this point im getting more paranoid about wind than rain.What to do.. I mean they just hang by strings.

I planted mine 2 weeks ago, and for the first while there was great sunny warm weather, I was watering every other day but there was no apparent growth. Now we have nothing but rain for like a week and they are growing great (slow but steady). I think they like the rain. I am going to reinforce the cords they are on though, I have some doubled up thin jute garden twine, but I think I am going to double that up to make it 4 ply before the bines attatch to them.

I went the extra mile and spent a bit more on some 5/8in. braided polypro rope so I'm not too worried about the wind. I was a little hesistant at first (at $11/100ft. it' s not cheap,) but I convinced myself it would last me several growing seasons since it won't rot and is rated to 135lbs. The bines should have no problem digging into the thin threads on the braid. My only concern now is if one line per plant will be enough. For the first season though, I don't think it'll be a problem.

I've noticed the same thing with the rain. My plants seem to respond much better to it than the water from the faucet. We have municipal water treated with chloramine so I'm sure that's part of the equation. They're growing slowly with the rain, but growing nonetheless. Nothing like mother nature! I just hope they take off soon: June is fast approaching and it's my understanding they slow down come July? I'd just like to see them a few feet taller than me by the time they stop growing. It'll make me more confident that they're well established for next season.

I started 4 hop rhizomes in pots this spring. This weather is tough with the overcast sky day after day. However, they seem to be doing well. The longer bines (6 inch) are starting to grow faster, but they could use some sunlight.

I plan to transplant them to the ground this weekend, once this nasty weather is gone. At least Im sure the drainage is good while they are in the containers.

wow nefarious 5/8 rope, really? how windy does it get there I live farily near lake erie and its pretty windy here all ive ever used is jute twine. I only ever had 2 break over 4 years one was because a very large tree fell on it and the other was completely my fault for having the top of the string in a tree(tree swayed 2 much in high wind and finally broke the twine)

I'm more worried about rot than anything... But you only broke two over 4 years, I should be good to go for 20! Let's just hope they grow... lol

Actually, I'm mistaken. I'm looking at a package right now, it's 1/2". Close enough.

I have been using jute for 4 years now with great success cant promise that with everyone though but a 3.99 for 500 ft i couldnt go wrong and its biodegradeable.

Im not worried about strings breaking just hops and leaves flying off in a tornado of a wind

Back