How's this mini mash Stout look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnj

Reaction score
This will be my second go at mini-mash. I'm doing it on the stove/oven.

5 lb. Amber malt extract
1 lb. 2Row
1/2 lb. 120L Crystal
20 oz. Roasted Barley
6 oz. Flaked Barley

10 AAU Northern Brewer hops - boil 60 minutes. (1.4oz.)
1968 Special London yeast.

That is the recipe as it stands now. I would like to maybe add molasses or coffee..? not sure.

Thoughts/suggestions?

That's over twice as much Roasted Barley as I use in a stout, so you certainly won't need any coffee. I like some chocolate malt in my stouts as well.

Do not add molasses, unless you routinely add it to your morning cup. It's a strong flavor that doesn't play well.

If you plan on bottling this, you could split it at bottling time and try various additions; then evaluate each variation on a weekly basis.

I guess your shooting for a dry stout? It's going to be too dark for the guide lines. If you hold out the C-120 and use only a pound of the Roasted Barley it should be close to 39 SRM.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Honestly, I don't know what I'm shooting for, which is why I posted the recipe.:D

I just grabbed the recipe at the store and told the owner I wanted to do a partial-mash (or whatever the proper term is for that technique). He sub'ed out 2 pounds of liquid for a few other grains(the 2Row and 120). But the 20 oz of Roasted was part of the original recipe.

Last night I drank a Sheaf Stout and a Guiness Double Stout. The Guiness was not my favorite.. How can I avoid that or come closer to the Sheaf with my beer?

Sweet stout.

I say use only 12oz of the Roasted assuming it's 550L--if it's lower use all of it. Don't use all the hops and the sweetness of the crystal and amber extract will come through. You could also add some lactose.

Hmm. well all the grains were crushed and put in the same bag. So I won't really be able to hold some back. Where do I find a pregnant chick for the lactose..:D

I bottled this last night. YUMMY!

I have never before been able to pour the last drops of beer from my carboy directly into a pint glass and drink it. In the past I have had an inch or so of yeasty bits in the bottom. Because this beer sat in the primary for a month, I'm guessing most of that gunk was left behind when I put it into the secondary...?

anyways, it's a clean looking beer, dark as the night and Whoa(!) tastey. :D

the red ale I brewed before that is still in the secondary and STILL bubbles from time to time. it's in a Better Bottle, first time using one of those. not sure if that has anything to do w/ it. The white bubbles are still floating on top. Seems that if it was an infection they would have grown? I'll be bottling it soon unless it tastes like hell, then it's down the drain.....

Back