How's this all grain kit look to you guys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Bizzle

Reaction score
On my local CL.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/hsh/1458747783.html

Quoted in case the ad goes down.

Little Dragon Brewing Company is proud to present its NEW 5 gallon Mash and Lauter Tun Combo Set-up

If you are or have always wanted to be an All-Grain Brewer, you have to try this!

We believe in using the right tools for the job. With our Mash Tun / Later Tun Combo, you can:

- Create the highest quality, true to style beers imaginable
- Cut costs nearly in half
- Improve the malt character, flavor and complexity of your brews
- Exercise control over every detail of your brew
- Make beer the right way without cutting corners
- Understand the brewing process properly

I use this exact set-up in my home tor brew award winning recipes of every type of beer from Pilsner to Stout, Porters to Bohemian Lagers without exception. It is the absolute perfect set-up for the home brewer and can make batches up to 15 gallons, with the proper technique.

This combo is made from the best materials on the market today. Forget mesh tubes or screens and little teeny weeny 3/8 inch tubing. My mash/lauter tun combo uses a stainless steel false bottom with solid brass parts. It comes complete with ½ inch GA Murdock food grade quick connect fittings for optimum flow management. Some say steel screen-type collection manifolds are better to strain liquid. It is counter-intuitive, wrong, and simply a matter of cost. False bottoms cost more. Mesh “collection manifolds” are a nice way of saying “cheap temporary materials” But you DEFINITELY get what you pay for. I’m not trying to make more money, just provide and AWESOME product because I LOVE BEER and BREWING! The false bottom I have has lasted me for 7 years and compared with the new ones I have in stock it has not aged one day in 7 years. You be the judge. Its warranty is 2 years.

This set up can manage up to 16 lbs of grain and I have brewed batches regularly of Barley Wine and Belgians over 10% ABV Simply set the adjustable valves for a flow consistent with your desired sparge time and look in from time to time to make sure the system is running smoothly. It is an easy system for a beginner and designed well enough to make award-winning brews. Although most brewers are happy with 75% brew house efficiency, I have achieved a regular brew house efficiency of 83% even with 16 lb batches.

Sparging any mash from single-step infusion to triple decoction mashes is easy.

Your Kit comes with

1. Two insulated hot water tanks with lids, rated to 180o F
2. Two flow valves
3. One stainless steel false bottom with solid brass fittings
4. GA Murdock ½ inch food grade fittings and food-grade polyethylene tubing
5. Complete instructions for sparging and mashing all-grain recipes
6. 2 year Limited Warranty on parts (if used properly, this unit should be perfect for 10 years)
7. Tons of useful and helpful tips on how to make perfect beer and maintain your mash/lauter tun for years and years
8. Custom-build sparge manifold in the hot water tank lid
9. Special anti-bacterial bamboo washcloth specially designed for washing plastic, nylon, polyethylene, and more.

There are no tools required to disassemble and clean these fittings and valves as they are dishwasher-safe, push-in, and hand-tighten. All fittings accept any 1/2" OD tubing in plastic, copper, or stainless steel. The polyethylene tubing supplied is rated to 100 psi at 180° F.

You supply the brew kettle. I recommend 8-10 gallon stainless steel reinforced bottom with a brass or steel bulkhead fitting.

I greatly appreciate your patronage and want you to know that I have been brewing 10-15 batches annually for 13 years. The only reason I am selling these kits is because I simply love brewing and want to be involved more in it moving forward. I am not in this for the money. I just like to share my abilities and knowledge with others. I know what works and what does not and I know the frustrations of not having the right tools for the job. I look forward to helping you make AWESOME brews for years to come!

Will Ship at cost anywhere in the USA Call with questions ***-***-****

3nd3k33of5O25S15Re9b9b537e3d8bc19108b.jpg

3n03p13lf5O15T95Q49b9a67a639304c01feb.jpg

3n63me3o75O75Tf5R69b9d5ea8bf1565b1b30.jpg

3n03k43l75Q55S55R59b9af8e8a4edb611700.jpg

While I have a self-built 5-gallon mash tun myself, I wouldn't recommend paying this much for a 5-gallon system - you just restrict yourself too much in terms of the beers you can brew and will want to upgrade to 10 gallon (or more) tuns before long. Plus - at least in my opinion - a separate HLT for a 5-gallon system may be convenient, but it's certainly not necessary, unless you insist on fly sparging.

Ok thanks.
I've been doing extract long enough and have been considering going all grain and I stumbled upon this while checking the local CL for brew stuff.

I think I need to do some research on here and decide where and what I'm gonna get for AG, and if I'm going to make something or build something.

I outgrew my 5 gallon MLT in about 3 - 4 batches. So I put together a 10 gallon one with copper manifold and SS fittings for around $60.

No. Too much money for what you get. Too limiting in size. Apart from the fact that i disagree with his position on braid for lautering, you can buy a 10 gal. Rubbermaid / HD "big orange" cooler and convert it with a false bottom specifically made for it (I'm not sure who makes it, but you can find it if you look around). The bottom line is that this equipment is too easy to put together yourself.

I'll bet ya I can get 83% brewhouse efficiency without crushing grain or a thermometer. That's a lot of money for a cooler, valve and a false bottom...

Spend $60 and build it yourself.

+1 to calibrewin..... this is overkill and underutilized.... Using a double batch sparge on 5 gallon mash tuns yields +80% efficiencies because you are just rinsing sugars from small volumes...a false bottom on a 5 gallon tun actually impairs the rinsing process....just go with the braided and be done with it....

Back