Hows my APA recipe lookin'?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

prcbrewer

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I am making an APA recipe to brew after my next IIPA. I am trying to use up a lot of my hops that I have on hand before they go bad, so this is why my hop bill is looking pretty hefty. Here is my proposed recipe:

Grain Bill:
5# 2-row
4# marris otter
1# wheat malt
0.5# golden naked oats
0.5# torrefied wheat

Hop Bill:
1 oz Vanguard (Mash Hop)
0.75 oz Horizon @ 60
0.25 oz horizon @ 1
1 oz cascade @ 1
0.75 oz simcoe @ 1
(Possibly another oz of vanguard @ 1??)

Dry Hop:
1 oz citra for 7 days
1 oz mosaic for 7 days.

Probably just going to use US-05 or a california liquid strain.

Any thoughts, suggestions, WTF am I doing moments, just let me know. I am open to changing this recipe around alot to make a great APA. I already have a lot of vanguard, horizon, cascade hops laying around so I am trying to get rid of those. But, I only have 1 oz citra 1 oz mosaic and .75 oz simcoe, so those are pretty much set amounts.

Any opinions on mineral ppm's for this beer would be awesome as well!!

rockdemon

Reaction score
Im quite the noob even though ive brewed like 30 batches in a year but one thing that looks weird to me is no flavor hops at around 30 min? I always have an addition at 30 no matter what kind of beer im making...

a question about when hops go bad. is it when they dont smell nice any more? Had half a bag of styrian golding that started smelling a bit cheesy. Is that when its gotten bad?

OP
P

prcbrewer

Reaction score
Im quite the noob even though ive brewed like 30 batches in a year but one thing that looks weird to me is no flavor hops at around 30 min? I always have an addition at 30 no matter what kind of beer im making...

a question about when hops go bad. is it when they dont smell nice any more? Had half a bag of styrian golding that started smelling a bit cheesy. Is that when its gotten bad?

I'm not familiar with those hops, but I would say when they start smelling bad, that's how they will smell in your beer. So that being said, it's a matter of what you want in the beer. May be fine for a long boil bittering hop but I wouldn't do late additions with them. I have seen something that I may try soon that may help you out too. This is dry hopping bud light. Throw a couple pellets of your questionable hops into a BL and recap it. A few days later, try it and see what you think. I may do this for the 8 varieties I have on hand at the moment.