howdy folks!! where to start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghettofix81

Reaction score
Hi there!! Im from the south west of England...this means the pressure is on to be able too make good scrumpy! Ive been making elderberry wine and now have it in the demi Johns, this frees up my fermenting bin! I thought about trying some cider and, as this forum proved fruitful (pun not the intended) llast time, I thought id come straight here to ask about where to begin!! (Gathering apples aside, I already had that covered! )
Thanks for any advice.....;-)

Hi there!! Im from the south west of England...this means the pressure is on to be able too make good scrumpy! Ive been making elderberry wine and now have it in the demi Johns, this frees up my fermenting bin! I thought about trying some cider and, as this forum proved fruitful (pun not the intended) llast time, I thought id come straight here to ask about where to begin!! (Gathering apples aside, I already had that covered! )
Thanks for any advice.....;-)

Mmmm... cider. Yes ghetto, a lot of your techniques from wine will carry over. Sanitize! Measure! Temp control!

For non grape fermenting using nutrient of some sort will help quite a bit. Some folks throw in raisins. I use a nutrient powder. I don't press my own, so I can't help there. The juice will come in anywhere between 1.030 - 1.080. So be prepared to blend or add sugar to get your desired abv.

Hope this helps, and let us know how it goes. I just got out to the orchards this week myself! :)

Back