How'd i miss my mark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Beersmith had my OG at 1.100 with 6.25 gal but I boiled down to about 6 gal then said enough and chilled and pitched and I ended up with a hydrometer reading of 1.096. My pre boil gravity was spot on if not a touch high so Im thinking I didn't boil off enough idk. Any thoughts.

Was beersmith set up for 6.25 gallons? 1.096 is pretty close. Did you take multiple gravity readings to start with? Did you pitch a big starter then take gravity readings?

Was beersmith set up for 6.25 gallons? 1.096 is pretty close. Did you take multiple gravity readings to start with? Did you pitch a big starter then take gravity readings?

This is set u
This was st up in my beer smith for my high gravity beers. I take gravity readings via refractometer only when I hit my boil limit time in this case it was 90 minutes then I boiled off more to get down to close to my OG per beersmith.

4 pts is not real bad...I use a refractometer as well. I can take 4 readings and get 4 different answers it seems like. I use the average. Guess it depends on when you take your preboil readings.....stratification could cause higher or lower readings preboil. I like my refractometer due to ease of use though I don't expect much more than a ballpark from it.

4 pts is not real bad...I use a refractometer as well. I can take 4 readings and get 4 different answers it seems like. I use the average. Guess it depends on when you take your preboil readings.....stratification could cause higher or lower readings preboil. I like my refractometer due to ease of use though I don't expect much more than a ballpark from it.

When collecting my wort I'll always stop .5 gal below my target and take a reading then go from there and even with this batch I was a point high and that's after I took a refrac reading then rechecked after it cooled. So maybe I didn't boil off enough I guess if the yeast does its job I shoukd b in the mid 9's for Final abv but I'm really more concerned if the recipe is what I want it to be because I can always increase it another time for an even bigger stout if this one hits all the marks.

Refractomters and hydrometers often read different. You need to calibrate your refractomter to read the same as your hydrometer.

Sent from hell
using Home Brew

Back