How'd I do? First brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdiddy1212

Reaction score
My first brew, a "Hank's Hefeweizen" from Midwest, just finished carbing! How'd I do?!

Its a lot darker then I was anticipating (the pictures are much lighter then it actually is, the first shot of the initial gravity reading is pretty close to the actual color) and the flavor is MUCH different then I was expecting. But its still great! I ended up doing a late extract addition of 75% of the LME at 15 minutes remaining in my boil to try to keep the color a little lighter. I also ended up getting a fantastic deal on gigantic, 4 tap kegerator, so I put this puppy straight to keg and force-carbed. A few questions though:

Is this about the correct color for a Hefeweizen? What about clarity? I know Hefes are supposed to be somewhat cloudy.
My head retention is awful, but the beer is carbed pretty good, i think. What could the cause of this be? Could my tap water be a likely suspect?

I can tell I've already gone down the rabbit hole with this hobby....got a grapefruit IPA in the primary, and a liberty cream ale in secondary :drunk:

P.S. Sorry for the sideways pictures...i can't seem to make them right side up!

20170121_222325.jpg

20170205_090113.jpg

20170219_083505.jpg

20170219_185730.jpg

Latest posts

Back