How would you do it ? Bottle some, keg the rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingfan13

Reaction score
So I am just getting into kegging and am trying to figure out the easiest way to bottle some and keg the rest. I use 22oz bottles and brew 5 gallon batches.

I want to bottle about a gallon and keg the other 4. What would be the best way to prime/carbonate my bottles ? I want to force carb the keg so adding priming sugar to the bottling bucket wont work. How would you go about it ?

Thanks for the info !

So you want to force carb the keg. Why don't you wait till the beer is carbed then fill bottles from the tap or use a bottle filler?

Do you want to force carb the keg, but carb the bottles with sugar?
Then all you would do is rack to your keg, then immediately push a gal to a bottling bucket . Add your priming sugar for one gallon and bottle.

Not sure what you are asking.

I was up against the same dilemma.

Bottling from the keg makes the most sense. There are plenty of how-to's out there, and bobby_m even has a youtube video.

Basically, after the beer's been conditioned in the keg, turn the serving pressure down to 5psi or less, and dispense through picnic tap/tubing into the bottle. Top with beer foam (to purge oxygen), and cap as usual.

this way, you're not worried about over/under priming, and can always fill more bottles. Plus, no sediment in the bottles.

I have a kegerator kit on order and already had some cornys. For my last batch (8 gallons), I racked from my fermenter (10 gallon corny) to a five gallon corny without priming and then the rest into a bottling bucket. My estimates were spot on and I ended up with three gallons in the bottling bucket. Primed that according to the tastybrew priming calulator.

I figure it will be good to see what difference the bottle priming and force carbing has on the beer. Admittedly, it wasn't a great beer to begin with. It was a disaster brewday.

in the future, I'll likely hook up a bottling gun for bottling post-carbing in the keg.

Look for the "We no need no stinkin' beer gun" thread.

So you want to force carb the keg. Why don't you wait till the beer is carbed then fill bottles from the tap or use a bottle filler?

Do you want to force carb the keg, but carb the bottles with sugar?
Then all you would do is rack to your keg, then immediately push a gal to a bottling bucket . Add your priming sugar for one gallon and bottle.

Not sure what you are asking.

I was just wondering what the easiest way to do this would be. I am used to the prepacked bag of priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch and was just thinking about the easiest way.

Thanks for all the input.

I was just wondering what the easiest way to do this would be. I am used to the prepacked bag of priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch and was just thinking about the easiest way.

Thanks for all the input.

The absolute easiest way is to force carb and bottle from the keg. Search bottling wand for perlick owners.

The absolute easiest way is to force carb and bottle from the keg. Search bottling wand for perlick owners.

That's the plan for me, when my setup is complete!

Heck, I didn't see you were in Bowie, MD. I just thought you were a Ziggy Stardust fan. :fro:

I may have to pick up my bottler in person when I get around to ordering one. So you can give me a one-on-one demonstration. Haha.

That's the plan for me, when my setup is complete!

Heck, I didn't see you were in Bowie, MD. I just thought you were a Ziggy Stardust fan. :fro:

I may have to pick up my bottler in person when I get around to ordering one. So you can give me a one-on-one demonstration. Haha.

Nope, don't even have a "Little china girl". The name originated on a local sports message board. Give me a holler and stop on by, looks like we may have to have a BBQ throwdown as well.

Latest posts

Back