How would you classify my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agtronic

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm 2 weeks into brewing an ale recipe that was randomly put together. I'm just wondering what style name you would give it?

It is the first time I brew a beer without using sugar, and also the first time I add my own hops. The anticipation is killing me!

This is what I did :

- 1 can Cooper's "Dark Ale" hopped LME
- 2.2 lbs. Extra Pale DME
- 1.1 lbs. Amber DME
- 1.5 oz. of US Saaz Pellets
- 1 pack Cooper's Ale Yeast (dry)

Brought 20 litres of water to a boil, mixed in the LME and DME and once it was boiling again, I added the hops for 15 minutes. I then cooled the wort in the bath tub and poured it into a plastic fermenting bucket. I topped it off to 23L. It is fermenting at ~21-22°C (69-71°F).

After 12 hours the airlock was bubbling intensly. Bubbles every 2 seconds. It's been doing this for 48 hours now, and it smells amazing.

Once again, I only remembered to take a SG reading after I pitched the yeast, and it was 1.040. I thought it would be higher considering how much DME I put in, but maybe the yeast (and its hydrating water) affected the reading? Or maybe because I forgot to mix it after I topped it off ...

Let me know your thoughts ... I'm wondering what I should call it when telling friends what they are drinking. :)

Thanks!

I think you brewed one between the lines, there, so you just might get to name yourself a new style. The first thing I can think of are some of the hoppier Czech dark beers, but those are mostly lagers. You certainly have an ale on your hands, so it could come out as something of a brown ale with a noble (Saaz) hop aroma.

Yep, you'll have to come up with your own name for that one, but I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out fine. That Cooper's yeast is not the best, as is all that extract, but you have to brew with what you have. Enjoy!

TL

HAHA! I'm laughing to myself, I think I will have a hard time saying "yeah man, this is my latest baltic porter". I think I'll just have to be honest and say "here's my latest frankenbeer" ...

I'm still not clear on how you guys can tell the difference in hops, and which go with which beers.

I know when I love a beer, and I've been passionate about the beers I love for many years, but I have never taken the time to analyze what I am drinking, and I can't decipher what I'm tasting, and which part I like or dislike. I guess that will come with time.

This is one of the best breakdowns/discussions of styles of beers http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php

From there to get an idea of what hops/grains/yeast goes into each style, look at several recipes both in our archives and online, and look at what common ingredients are used. And google is your friend- Typing in something like "what hops go into a baltic porter?" can net some great info, it may not give you exactly the info, but it will lead you down some great educational paths, to help you fuse your passion with knowledge.

:mug:

My first brew was a Munton's IPA can kit and I added three pounds of light DME and no sugar to the boil. It ended up tasting like Shiner Bock.

Heh...I did that for my second brew except I used LME...It's got another 10 days in the primary. I was wondering if the pre-hopped extracts lose alot along the way. Either way, I love IPA's and can tolerate Shiner.

After rereading the OP, I realized that the hops were only boiled for 15 minutes (as was the entire wort apparently). This is going to give you practically no bitterness - maybe only 5-6 IBUs, which I think is even less bitter than Bud Light. So, depending on how dark the "dark" extract is, I think you're going to end up with a sweeter, less bitter, darker version of Bud Light, though possibly with more hop aroma. (definitely NOT a Baltic Porter)

Thanks for the link to the beer styles! I am reading through that right now!

A dark bud light? I dunno, at the very least, my beer should be plenty malty no? Bud light is like yellow water. Don't forget that the LME I used is hopped. I put in the Saaz for 15 minutes to give the wort some extra hops aroma, in an effort to balance out the 3.3 lbs of DME.

This is one of the best breakdowns/discussions of styles of beers http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php

Revvy...do you know of any programs/sites that work in reverse? I have Beer Smith, but I would be interested in something that could apply a style based on values derived from ingredients. In other words, the reverse of applying ingredients to comply with a style.

Revvy...do you know of any programs/sites that work in reverse? I have Beer Smith, but I would be interested in something that could apply a style based on values derived from ingredients. In other words, the reverse of applying ingredients to comply with a style.

Not that I know of. I brought that up as a "what if" awhile back. It would be cool if you could add your ingredients in, and have it say...."you are in the style ranges of....." Maybe give you the 3 styles closest to it, and you could then tweak it further to fit one you want.

Oh YURI...are you up for another programming challenge? Actually I would love it to be a addon to beersmith in my case.

A dark bud light? I dunno, at the very least, my beer should be plenty malty no? Bud light is like yellow water. Don't forget that the LME I used is hopped. I put in the Saaz for 15 minutes to give the wort some extra hops aroma, in an effort to balance out the 3.3 lbs of DME.

I need to read things more carefully. Clearly, I am not meant to offer anything meaningful to this post :cross: Good luck with the beer!

Designing Great Beers is an excellent book for background on most of the popular styles and how they have evolved. It is an indispensable reference if you really want to put together rational beers. It will also help you understand why you like the beers that you have been so passionate about for years.

Another good book is Brewing Classic Styles, which gives one or two recipes for each style and then pointers on how to actually brew the beer and what each part of the recipe adds to the beer. It is an excellent source of recipes to brew and tweak.

I can't imagine it's a Baltic Porter. I won't have the complexity or the proper hop character for that.

Also, style is not a matter of recipe. It's a matter of how the final product comes out.

And, guys, not every beer will fit into a style. The BJCP styles do not and are not meant to cover ever permutation of beer out there. They are meant, in part, to describe many (not all) of the styles of beer you find around the world, in history, and in homebrew competitions. Primarily, though, they are meant to serve as judging guidelines in homebrew competitions. That's it. Just because you brew a beer, that doesn't mean there is a BJCP style for it.

TL

I can't imagine it's a Baltic Porter. I won't have the complexity or the proper hop character for that.

Also, style is not a matter of recipe. It's a matter of how the final product comes out.

And, guys, not every beer will fit into a style. The BJCP styles do not and are not meant to cover ever permutation of beer out there. They are meant, in part, to describe many (not all) of the styles of beer you find around the world, in history, and in homebrew competitions. Primarily, though, they are meant to serve as judging guidelines in homebrew competitions. That's it. Just because you brew a beer, that doesn't mean there is a BJCP style for it.

TL

Yeah, but it is a good primer for someone wanting to expand their beer "vocabulary," learning about the major styles of beers, as well as going into some of the factors such as color, bitterness, and gravity, or one beer over another.

For example, "This is what an IPA is, and here's some commercial examples to try. This is a PALE ale...see how it differs from the India version, here's some brands to true."

It was what me learn about different beers. And I still refer to it when I plan on brewing a different styles.

There's not a lot of places, especially online, that gives such a comprehensive, yet simple overview of most of the different types of beers out there.

It's not the be all and end all, BUT for someone like the OP who said he's new to this stuff, you can't argue that it's not a good tool and a place to start.

Not that I know of. I brought that up as a "what if" awhile back. It would be cool if you could add your ingredients in, and have it say...."you are in the style ranges of....." Maybe give you the 3 styles closest to it, and you could then tweak it further to fit one you want.

Oh YURI...are you up for another programming challenge? Actually I would love it to be a addon to beersmith in my case.

Brewpal for you iphone does this. You click on styles and it list the beer styles sections then the actual beers. When you click on a beer , it list the following critiera and range for that beer and where you fall.

OG
FG
ABV
IBU
SRM

It works ok and let you select how similiar you want your results, but it doesnt take into account ingredients.

Hey guys, a slight update. A little premature perhaps ...

I bottled the beer today. I couldn't help but have a glass of the flat beer, just to get an idea what it tastes like.

It is about 2 million times better tasting than my previous can + sugar kit experiences. It tastes a bit like Newcastle, with more bitterness, and more hops.

So far I am very happy, but I find the body pretty light. I guess I should have known that when I got a 1.040 OG. The bitterness is awesome though. It tastes like REAL BEER!!!

Can't wait to taste a cold, carbonated one. :)

Will update shortly!

Just thought I'd post up an update.

I started drinking it about one week after bottling, I just couldn't wait any longer. To my surprise, it was already completely carbonated.

First impression is that the hop flavor is slightly overdone, or maybe mismatched to the beer style. Next thing I noticed is that the body is quite light. Overall, the beer is MUCH better than anything I have made before, but it's kinda strange. I am still VERY happy because it is still very enjoyable. It's a much better tasting beer than almost all north american commercial beer, which I haven't touched in about 5 years.

Now, what made me decide to come on here and want to update everyone is this. It's been 10 weeks since I bottled the beer. I have always heard people say that beer will taste better after time in the bottle, but I never really noticed an improvement with my past homebrews, (haven't made many), and I didn't quite believe it. Until now. This beer has improved significantly in the last few weeks. It seems that some of the harsh flavors I noticed at first have vanished, and everything seems more balanced and harmonious. I would venture to say the flavor has even become slightly sweeter. Is this possible?

Either way, I am VERY happy with my first "experiemental" beer, and I have learned so much since starting this batch. I can't wait to brew another.

What I have learned :

- Beer DOES improve with time in the bottle.
- Use a wort chiller, or get a hazy beer that makes your stomach work overtime.
- I have learned to take more time to analyze the flavor of my favorite micro brews.

Thanks for the link to the beer styles! I am reading through that right now!

Welcome here, fellow Quebecer!

Back