How will this temperature spike likely affect my brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velorider11

Reaction score
Hi guys and thanks for all the help previously. I brewed an extract Delirium Tremens clone and pitched onto 1/2 just racked off of yeast cake from a previous batch that fermented with Wyeast 1388 and I added a packet of Safale 04 because I read that the commercial DT is made with that also. I pitched at 68 degrees and it took 16 hours for any signs of fermentation. I figured maybe the yeast from the cake weren't too healthy and that the 04 was taking over because there was no Belgian type smell coming from the airlock so I got a vial of WLP570 (same strain as 1388) and pitched that at 24 hours. After another 12 hours there was a nice creamy krausen and that smell of fruity funk that I was looking for. At about 80 hours, I wanted to up the temps to about 72-73 to help the Belgian yeast finish and thinking that that far into fermentation it would be ok for the 04 to go that warm. Instead of setting the dial to low on my aquarium heater, I mistakenly set it to high before I left for work and when I got home, the wort temp was 79. I removed the heat source and put in a little ice in my plastic tub and it brought the temp down to 75. Can I expect any adverse effects from the temerature spike or with my fermentation that far along will I be safe? Thanks

I think you'll be fine but that's a lot of yeast additions for one beer, you might want to consider practicing a little more patience moving forward:)

Back