How will malto dextrin affect SG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

PennGreenKid

Reaction score
Hello, This is my second batch of beer Ive brewed, ever. I have one of those 5 gallon bucket kits, this batch is a scotch ale from brewers best. I like robust beer so I added some malto dextrin. I added the recommended amount which was a half of a, one pound bag of this additive. This batch was placed into the primary fermenter Sunday the 23rd and its now Saturday at 2:38 am Eastern standard. Anyway the fermenter stopped bubbling tonite. I measured the specific gravity tonight and it was around 1.020 and the recipe says the final gravity should be 1.010 - 1.012. So my question is, does malto dextrin have an affect on the specific gravity?

Thanks

Kai

Reaction score
Half a pound of malto-dextrine will give you about 10 more gravity points, and it is unfermentable, so it looks like your FG is right on.

Malto-dextrine, by the way, will impart a rounder, fuller, smoother, heavier, or chewier mouthfeel, by the way - I don't know if that's what you're looking for for 'robustness'

david_42

Reaction score
MD is a good addition to a Scotch ale & Kai is correct about the gravity. Any non-fermentable will increase both the starting and final gravity by the same amount.