How will caramelized wart effect on color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de5m0mike

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew a Wee Heavy this weekend. Not as part of the 12-12-12, I know, its purely coincidental. Anyway, I've learned a lot by reading through the 30 plus pages of discussion in that thread but I'm still trying to figure out how the caramelization of the wart (boiling 2 gallons down to a thick syrup) will effect my color. Right now my recipe is on the dark side of the style guidelines, 23.6 SRM, and I'm worried that if I caramelize my wart it will end up too dark. Normally, I wouldn't care but I was thinking I might like to enter this one in a contest. So, any ideas what I can expect?

Well if you have a caramelized wart, you should probably see a doctor. :cross:

In all seriousness though, I'm not sure how much it would darken it. I think it depends on how much you caramelize it, don't know if there's a good way to figure it before hand. If you're already at the upper limit of SRM, I bet caramelization would push it over,

If you're just adding a few cups of caramelized wort back to a 5 or 10 gallon batch then I don't it will greatly affect the color. Even if it did, there is more leeway with darker beers like this as opposed to say, a pilsner. Depends on the judge, too.

Back