How will adding corn sugar to my wort affect my yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragman

Reaction score
Looking to add Corn Sugar to my beer to up the ABV in making a high ABV DDH NEIPA.

I use a calculator to determine the size of my yeast starter.

Will adding the corn sugar throw off the numbers for the yeast starter?

1 more question - to raise the ABV is it better to add the sugar to the mash or to the boil? - if the boil, when/

Thanks.

Always add to the boil to get 100% utilization of the refined sugar.

You should take into account the sugar addition when determining pitch rate but unless you're really pitching quite a lot of it you might (and you probably will) get away with it even without increasing starter size, provided you were not already severely underpitched.

1- never use sugar in a starter.
2- You can add at end of boil, but I like to make a 4.75 gal into the fermenter wort then add the sugar in a 2 qt solution that is boiled and chilled then added after high "K". I add after it can no longer keep itself at temp.

Thanks guys.

hottpeper13 - if I add the sugar after high krausen how will that affect the ABV?

Vale71 - so if Im understanding you correctly - add it to the boil and just use the calculator as normal for the yeast starter with the OG and FG BrewersFriend states with sugar addition accounted for?

Depending on the type of sugar you can get 36-46 GU's per lb./per gal. So if you added 1 lb of pure cane juice sugar(what I use) to a 5 gal batch (46/5=9.2 PPG added to the amount from the grain bill. Remember sugar is 100%
Wow looks like it's the same ABV boost as when put in the boil : )

Back