How warm is too warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcaustin

Reaction score
I got my first batch going yesterday (a cherry wheat kit from Midwest). Today, the airlock is bubbling away, but the temperature has increased from a steady 69 degrees to about 72-73 degrees. At what temperature do I need to make sure it doesn't get any warmer?

I've turned down the heat to the room that the carboy is sitting in just a touch.

Thanks!

Austin

Ah, thanks for the quick reply. I'll keep the heat turned down just a touch from where it was (warmest room in the house) and keep an eye on it.

Austin

The wheat yeast will be forgiving as far as temp is concerned, but when you brew a pale or brown or stout keep the ambient room temp to more like 65 and the fermenter will be about 70 in the center of all the activity.

Back to your wheat: Weiss yeasts will make a more bannana-ey flavor at warmer temps (70-80), and cloves at cooler temps (62-72). Keep in mind those are ranges, and there will always be some overlap in flavors. I myself prefer the clove, but try both ranges and see which ya like best.

Latest posts

Back