How to wire a PID and SSR for E-kettle/HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangevango

Reaction score
Im about to embark on making an E-kettle, and Im sure I could figure out how to wire up my control box through various internet resources, but I figured I could see if you guys would hook me up with a wiring diagram. What I want this thing to take a single 220 line in and put out two 220 outlets that I can toggle between with a switch, one would power the hlt and the other would power the kettle (both will be kegs). I dont want it to be possible to accidentaly run both of them. Can Anyone help me lay out the wiring, gauges of wire required would also be helpful. Ive already got a controler for my pumps. I dont mind if ive got to unplug one thermocouple and plug another in to switch back and forth, but if its avoidable I would like to.

I bought the Auber 1/6th din PID and the 40amp AC SSR and two K type thermocouples.

Ive looked at the Pol's thread and he does not go into any detail about wiring up the PID and SSR.

Im about to embark on making an E-kettle, and Im sure I could figure out how to wire up my control box through various internet resources, but I figured I could see if you guys would hook me up with a wiring diagram. What I want this thing to take a single 220 line in and put out two 220 outlets that I can toggle between with a switch, one would power the hlt and the other would power the kettle (both will be kegs). I dont want it to be possible to accidentaly run both of them. Can Anyone help me lay out the wiring, gauges of wire required would also be helpful. Ive already got a controler for my pumps. I dont mind if ive got to unplug one thermocouple and plug another in to switch back and forth, but if its avoidable I would like to.

I bought the Auber 1/6th din PID and the 40amp AC SSR and two K type thermocouples.

Ive looked at the Pol's thread and he does not go into any detail about wiring up the PID and SSR.

I didnt go into much detail, because it is super easy. The SSR has two inputs, a + and - that come from the PID, pretty self explainatory. The SSR also has a LINE IN and LINE OUT, that is where the power comes in, and goes out when switched to do so by the PID. So, basically there are (4) terminals on the SSR. Two for the PID input and two for the line that you are switching.

I sent BOTH hot wires, the one to the SSR and the one that bypasses it to the outlet, through a DPST switch so that I can have positive control of the element. I dont want the PID having ultimate authority.

Honestly, once you get the PID and SSR in your hands, you will see that wiring them is the easiest part of the build.

So how about switching the output from the SSR between two outlets?

Back