How To: Using coffee pot for all grain starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quetzolcotl

Reaction score
This is the way I make easy all grain starters.

If you need a 1 liter starter use 1/4 lbs of grain, a 2 liter starter uses 1/2 pound of grain and so on. My coffee machine cup size is 5oz so you pour in however much water you need. For a 1 liter starter it is roughly 7 cups + 1 cup for water absorption by the grain (@33 oz plus 8 oz).

I put a paint strainer into a small 1/2 gallon cooler I have, pour in my grain and add the correct amount of water. My hot water always hits 150 degrees F and I get a 1.030ish wort. I let sit for 1 hour, pull the bag and let the water drain. Transfer the wort to a Erlenmeyer flask, boil 5 minutes, chill, and pitch yeast.

I figure it is easy as pie to keep 1 lbs of crushed grain on hand for this and I've been doing it for a few years without problems. Plus I always have grain and I don't always have DME when I want to brew so I can skip a trip to the supply store.

DSCN0524.jpg

DSCN0525.jpg

I like it. It's pretty clever. I've still been using DME for starters because I'm lazy and I don't want to stand at my stove and mash a pound of grain. This looks like a really simple, easy solution.

Back