how to use whole leaf hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmanshane

Reaction score
hey all i am brewing an ipa with my hops i harvested last year. i have never used whole leaf hops and was wondering the best way to add them to the boil??? im heating strike water right now so have a couple hours until i add them. My thought was to throw them in directly into the boil??

That's typically what you do, just add them to the boil. If you want to have less of a mess, make a hop spider and add them in that each time. I don't tend to like hopsacks for whole hops, but that just me... However you add them will be fine. Whole leaf hops were the first hops used in brewing, so there's really no wrong way to do it.

that's what i figured. i normally use a hop ball when using pellets, i was just seeing if anyone had any tips. Figured that if i have mastered all grain i should be able to use whole leaf hops haha

that's what i figured. i normally use a hop ball when using pellets, i was just seeing if anyone had any tips. Figured that if i have mastered all grain i should be able to use whole leaf hops haha

I rarely use them any more unless it's a hop strain that I can't get in pellets or it's fresh or dry hops from friends who grow them. They are kind of a pain to work with, especially how I brew which is to chill my wort, then rack it to a fermenter with my autosiphon. They tend to gum up the flow, that's why some sort of containement vessel is helpful, like a spider, or just a big BIAB type bag in your kettle.

good luck

Back