How to use REAL rice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidbait

Reaction score
What is the process for using regular old rice in my mash? I know some use Minute rice, but I am looking to using regular old white rice. Any tips?

You will need to mill it then do a cereal mash to gelatinize the starches. At that point it can be added to the main mash.

1. Crush rice to about polenta-consistency if you can
2. Mix about 2.5:1 rice:base malt. Add 3 qts water per lb of grains.
3. Bring to 165F (for rice/corn--with other grains, 155F works better) for 20 minutes
4. Bring to a boil until it gelatinizes (15-20 minutes)

You can skip the malt and step 3, but then you need to boil the crap out of it for a long time (60 minutes or more).

Once you're done, add to your main mash.

Minute rice is a lot easier.

You can also just cook your rice like you normally would. I've cooked in my rice maker, then added more hot water when done and used one of those stick mixer (long handle with circular blades on the bottom). Chop it up some with that and add it to your mash. It works fine -- you just need to cook through the starches before trying to convert them to sugars.

Latest posts

Back