How to use gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefjp

Reaction score
Made a 5 gallon batch and forgot to use irish moss, i've heard of using gelatin to clarify, but I dont know how to do, it and how much to use. can someone help me?

Thanks

Knox unflavored gelatin.

I use half packet per carboy.

Dump into cup full of water. Let it sit for 10 minutes. It will "bloom", absorbing water and filling the cup. Don't forget this step!

Put in microwave for a minute or two until it just starts to boil.

Remove and pour into your carboy. I don't wait for it to cool.

Don't shake the carboy.

I let this sit overnight, then drop the temp to 32 on the carboys. If you don't have temp control and can't "cold crash", just leave it for a while. If you use clear carboys and look carefully, you might see a line in the beer falling an inch or two every day. Above this line the beer will be darker (and clearer), below it is where the yeast is still in suspension. Get this beer as cold as you can to get that line all the way to the bottom. Before I got my chest freezer, I saw this line stop half way down.

If I've already cooled my beer, but want to add gelatin, can I take it out of the fridge, let it reach room temp, add gelatin, then cool again? Will this warming/cooling affect the beer?

You can add gelatine to cold beer, it won't coagulate unless you've boiled it, in which case it would be useless anyway. I've never had a problem shaking my kegs after putting gelatin in, just be sure to purge the CO2 out if you want to do that to mix the knox in with the beer. That's worked fine for me but you may develop a preference.

If I've already cooled my beer, but want to add gelatin, can I take it out of the fridge, let it reach room temp, add gelatin, then cool again? Will this warming/cooling affect the beer?

The beer needs to be cold for gelatin to work at its best. There are a couple different ways to do it and I suppose most work OK. The following link is a pretty clear and simple explanation of the process:

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/06/how-to-clear-your-beer-with-gelatin.html

Cheers!

Back