How to use gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cokronk

Reaction score
I've looked through several threads and found questions about it, but not a full comprehesive "how to" on it's use.

Questions I have are, what type should I use? Can I buy any generic gelatin from the grocery store? How much should I use for 5 gallons? When should I put it in? What temperature does my beer have to get to before it's recommended to transfer to a keg so that I can make sure that the gelatin won't affect the beer at all.

And if there's anything else I've forgotten, it would be nice to know. I might try this with my first batch.

I use the Knox clear gelatin from the grocery store. There are several packets per box and I use half a packet for each 5 gallon batch. It works best when your beer is cold and you want to add it before you bottle or keg. I put a cup of water in a pot and add the gelatin. Let it sit with no heat for about 15 minutes. This allows the gelatin to 'bloom'. Then heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly. You don't want to boil it. When you start to see bubbles and it looks like it's getting ready to boil, remove it from the heat. Simply add the mixture to your cold beer, doesn't matter if it's a carboy or bucket. I don't bother to chill the mixture because it's such a small volume it won't hurt the beer. Let the fermenter sit for a couple of days cold and rack. I often just add it to the kegs when I rack with excellent results. If your bottling...no worries. The bottles will still carb up fine, it just may take a week or so extra to properly carb. Hope that helps...a little. lol.

Same as Hammy above but I just microwave mine for about 45 seconds, add it to the keg and rack on top of it.

I cannot believe what a difference it makes!

Pretty much I do what Hammy suggested. If you are worried about using sterile water then pre-boil a cup of water or so, and let it cool. Toss in the Knox, let it swell, then heat the mixture up to 170F.

I can't claim to know the chemistry, but 170ish seems to be a temp you do not want the gelatin to get above. If it gets too hot is is "denatured" or broken down somehow and does not work at all. Thats the consensus anyway, and I have followed that rule of thumb.

Once it's up to 170, just slide the mix on top of your keg or carboy. It works.

Back