How to use chocolate nibs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Ave a recipe that called for chocolate extract to be added at bottling time but couldn't find any anywhere so I was given chocolate nibs. Now what melt them. Throw them in the boil?

I've only used nibs once, and I tossed them into the boil with about 10 minutes left and it worked for me. I haven't experimented with using them in the fermenter as something like a dry hop or even in secondary yet, so there's that, but if you toss them in with the boil it will give you some chocolate flavor.

Edit: Also worth noting - they were floating at the end of the boil so I went ahead and transferred them into the primary. They were in with the beer for about 2 weeks before I transferred it into secondary to add vanilla beans.

There's a good article from All About Beer covering using different forms of cocoa here.

I just used nibs for the first time today as well for a chocolate oatmeal stout. I used them in the mash and it gave the wort a nice, but subdued chocolate flavor/aroma. I imagine using them in the boil would give a stronger flavor, but I wanted the chocolate to accompany the oat flavor rather than overpower it.

When I make my chocolate milk stout, I put about 4-6 oz in the secondary right out of the bag. I'll let them sit for a week and then start sampling till the flavor is where I want it. I've never tried it in the boil, but in the fermenter, I get some great flavor and aroma! I suppose if you're worried about infection you could soak them in a small amount of vodka for a few days then add to the fermenter. Experiment with all the ways suggested and use what you like best!

I put mine in secondary after soaking them in rum for a week. It was a delicious chocolate milk stout with great flavor and aroma.

I put the chocolate in the boil. I melt it down in the microwave first though. IDK why because it'll just melt in the boil but it's what I do... for some reason. :drunk:

bobeer said:
I put the chocolate in the boil. I melt it down in the microwave first though. IDK why because it'll just melt in the boil but it's what I do... for some reason. :drunk:

To my knowledge, cacao nibs don't melt. Are you talking about actual chocolate?

Back