How to use a priming calculator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BansheeRider

Reaction score
How am I supposed to know how much co2 volume for my beer? Also how do I know how much water to use when mixing corn sugar? I did an estimate for an autumn amber ale (5gal) and the calculated said 3 oz of sugar but my extract kit came with 5 oz. I'm guessing the info I put in the calculator is wrong.

P.S. Yes I am a newbie

aiptasia

Reaction score
Just use a cup of pre-boiled tap or bottled water. I make a simple syrup by boiling the water in a pan and adding the sugar to it and stirring until it dissolves. A low boil for 15 minutes or so is enough to sanitize it, then I pour it into my bottling bucket and just rack the finished beer onto it using an auto siphon.

IMHO, I find I get a better carbonation at a 1:1 ratio of water to dextrose (corn sugar). I usually prime my ales with one cup corn sugar to one cup water in that simple syrup. Then, be sure to let the bottles sit a full three weeks in a dark room temperature environment to fully carb up well. Patience is the key.

OP
BansheeRider

BansheeRider

Reaction score
Just use a cup of pre-boiled tap or bottled water. I make a simple syrup by boiling the water in a pan and adding the sugar to it and stirring until it dissolves. A low boil for 15 minutes or so is enough to sanitize it, then I pour it into my bottling bucket and just rack the finished beer onto it using an auto siphon.

IMHO, I find I get a better carbonation at a 1:1 ratio of water to dextrose (corn sugar). I usually prime my ales with one cup corn sugar to one cup water in that simple syrup. Then, be sure to let the bottles sit a full three weeks in a dark room temperature environment to fully carb up well. Patience is the key.
Thanks! What about the calculator. How do I figure co2 volume? So 5 oz of sugar with 5 cups of water would be good?

JuanMoore

Getting the banned back together
Reaction score
Thanks! What about the calculator. How do I figure co2 volume? So 5 oz of sugar with 5 cups of water would be good?
The CO2 volumes is the carbonation level that you choose. If you want highly carbonated sparkly beer, shoot for a higher number. If you want the beer to have mild carbonation, use a lower number. For reference, most BMC and commonly available commercial beer is carbonated around 2.7 vol. I carb most of my beers to about 2.5 vol. The 5 oz included with most kits will likely result in ~2.7-2.8 vol if you use the whole thing in a 5 gal batch.

As far as how much water to use, just enough to easily dissolve all of the sugar. One cup of water would be plenty for 5 oz of corn sugar. The 1:1 ratio mentioned above was based on volume, and 5 oz of sugar only takes up about 3/4 of a cup of volume, so a 1:1 would be 3/4 cup of water.