How to use a 100lb propane tank with your burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SookeBrewing

Reaction score
Hey gang,

Maybe somebody else has a better solution to this problem, but I searched and searched before I finally solved it.

I just so happened to have a 100lb propane tank lying around - it came with my house and was not used, in favour of a 200lb leased tank for the fireplace.

I thought it would be great to use it for brewing, no more running out and filling 20lb tanks at higher retail costs.

The problem was that the hose on my turkey fryer burner was nowhere near long enough to reach the valve. No problem, I thought, I'll grab an extension hose. I quickly discovered that there were no extensions that would fit the connection on the turkey fryer (your standard BBQ quick connection). Maybe this is a gas code thing, but I thought it was rather ridiculous that I had this 100lb tank and the only hoses I could find were for camping appliances and tees (lanterns, stoves, etc).

I looked for converters, adapters, everything, at every store in my area, and I searched online. What I finally found was this:
StoreHandler.ashx

It's called a "steak saver" adapter, because if you run out of gas on your BBQ while cooking a steak, you can 'save' it with one of the disposable 1 lb camping bottles, which is the exact same thread on the extension hoses that I was able to find!

So, I ordered one up (google Steak Saver for a few places) and haven't looked back.

I picked up a 100lb tank last year, but I'm still looking for an adapter to fit this connection to go to my burners... Any thoughts (ignore the regulator that's already on there - came with it)?

VjJxd.jpg

All you'll need is a simple adapter to convert that to the newer style adapter.

valve-adapter.jpg

You can find them at a lot of places, Home Depot might even have them.

Here's a link to an online seller that google brought up

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/valve-adapter.htm

To install it you just use an adjustable wrench on that black plastic part, once the proper tourqe has been applied that black piece just breaks off and you're good to go.

All you'll need is a simple adapter to convert that to the newer style adapter.

valve-adapter.jpg

You can find them at a lot of places, Home Depot might even have them.

Here's a link to an online seller that google brought up

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/valve-adapter.htm

To install it you just use an adjustable wrench on that black plastic part, once the proper tourqe has been applied that black piece just breaks off and you're good to go.

Thanks!!!1 :mug: I owe you a beer good Sir.

Back