How to transfer a brew from one keg to another

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
So here's my situation. I have one bum keg. I've tried everything I can think of but no matter what I try it pours very very very slowly. So I decided to just use it as an aging keg. Well my Oktoberfest should be done in another week and I'll need to get it out of that keg and into a good one.

What's the easiest way to do this? I have a few extra disconnects and tubing so I can make a jumper if needed. Honestly though I don't have the foggiest.

Thanks!

After thinking about it I may have come up with a solution. I could just pull the liquid end off the empty good keg and the tube out it also and swap them out. I'll need to depressurize the keg briefly but that sure beats transferring 5 gallons around!

If you have the parts, making an "Out to Out" jumper would be the safe and sane way to do the transfer. Flush the "receiving" keg with CO2 first, hook up the jumper, put a small pressure on the "sending" keg, and occasionally relieve the pressure on the "receiving" keg to keep the flow going...

Cheers!

I don't want to steal this thread, my question is related to this topic.

I recently used a keg to carbonate naturally, developing a secondary yeast in the process. My beer is awesome, but cloudy with yeast- the opposite of the clean beer it use to be.
It seems this process would let me move my beer off that secondary yeast cake and allow it to clear up in a new keg.

Does this sound right? If so, I may need to buy a few more kegs so I can transfer my naturally carbed beers.

Cold crash the keg you naturally carbed for a week or so, it should clear up after the first or second pour.

Cold crash the keg you naturally carbed for a week or so, it should clear up after the first or second pour.

Yep, as long as the keg is left alone in the keezer/kegerator/etc. this will work great. I usually only get 1/2-3/4 of a pint of cloudy, and then it's all clear until the last 1/2 pint. If you're going to move the keg around at all it will get stirred back up, so go with your first idea and transfer to a clean keg instead.

I've seen the setups where you go from liquid out to gas in. Anyone know why you couldn't go liquid to liquid? Then you would be filling the new keg from the bottom to help stop oxydation.

I've seen the setups where you go from liquid out to gas in. Anyone know why you couldn't go liquid to liquid? Then you would be filling the new keg from the bottom to help stop oxydation.

I can't imagine why anyone would go beer out to gas in. Makes zero sense, and uses a gas QD to boot. Stupid...

Cheers!

You can go liquid to liquid with minimal problem.
But if the keg is purged it's irrelevant
:mug:

Back