How to top up mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_billingsley

Reaction score
Started my 1st mead 2/3/23 with an OG of 1.110 using 3 lb local Idaho honey. Racked to secondary yesterday FG 1.010 because I am going out of town and didn't want to leave it in a bucket since I was beginning to see yeast rafts and was worried a film yeast might take over. I have this much headspace in my 1 gallon DJ. How do you top up a mead? I don't want to use just water, or change the flavor with wine which is all I have in the house. I have this grocery store honey I could use but am uncertain how to go about it. All advice will be appreciated.

Attachments

• mead 3.jpg
    mead 3.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
I transferred to secondary, it might not have been quite done at 1.010, but it is off the initial lees and I don't see much in the way of bubbling.

I have a finished traditional mead that I could top off with. Nowadays I start with a slightly bigger batch so I can rack to a full carboy. From where you are, I'd say mix up a quart of 1.110 must and top up with that.
do you think that would reactivate whatever yeast are left? If so, how much headspace would you leave?

Go buy some glass marbles and add them to the jug. This will take up some headspace and your problem is solved.

Attachments

• 33EF2777-BA03-4A48-8BFB-BC6037A75712.jpeg
    33EF2777-BA03-4A48-8BFB-BC6037A75712.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back